Fall Festivals You Must Try If You’re in the New Jersey Area

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

There’s only one more thing that could make ringing in this fall season even better: festivals. You absolutely must get your fair share of music, food, and vendors this fall, and since we can’t possibly have you missing out, we’ve put together a list of some of the coziest, most irresistible festivals and fairs happening locally this fall. So, mark your calendars and get pumped for everything NJ has to offer!

Holmdel Harvest Festival [Homdel, NJ] Oct 6

This festival has it all: tons of food vendors, a petting zoo, rides, laser tag, inflatables for kids and even fireworks! It’s located in Holmdel, NJ (less than an hour away from campus!) and has something for the entire family to enjoy. I haven’t even told you the best part —  it’s free to get in, which is always good for a college student on a budget.

Fall Festival and Classic Car Show [Newton, NJ] Oct 7

Calling all car lovers! This free admission festival in Newton, NJ features all the best things about a fall festival: live music, face painting, vendors, crafters and a costume contest… but it also showcases classical cars. Enjoy a car show as you dig into some good food and listen to great entertainment. It’s about an hour away from campus and it’s a rain or shine event.

West Milford Autumn Lights Festival [West Milford, NJ] Oct 13

The 24th Annual West Milford Autumn Lights Festival (ALF) is coming! Like all the best festivals, it’s family friendly, 100% free, and is located in the Highlands area of Northern New Jersey with gorgeous views of the mountain landscape. Located 40 minutes from campus, it’s a street fair with live entertainment, amusement rides and many different vendors to shop with. Who can resist?

Electric Halloween Festival [Millville, NJ) Oct 19-20

Yep, you read correctly―this festival is an entire weekend long. For two days, you can enjoy camping, music and performances, contests, games, good food and specialty drinks for all you 21+ year olds out there. If that isn’t enough, they are also offering a full length magic show, fire spinning, costume and pie eating contests, and more traditional activities like pumpkin painting. The event is a little over two hours away from campus, but it’s a small price to pay considering how amazing it looks!

Day of the Dead 2018 [Princeton, NJ] Nov 3

This is not your average Halloween party… celebrate El Dia de Los Muertos! El Dia de Los Muertos (‘Day of the Dead’ in Spanish) brings family and friends together to honor those who have passed in a special, exciting way. The Day of the Dead festival features mariachi bands, sugar skull decorating, face painting, arts and crafts and food. The festivities are located in Princeton, just an hour away from campus―close enough for everyone to join in on the fun. Did I mention admission was free?

Paramus Food Truck Festival [Paramus, NJ] Nov 4

This one’s for all you foodies out there! If you’re looking for a festival with over 25 gourmet food trucks and amazing music, look no further. You are absolutely guaranteed to find something delicious! It only costs five dollars to get in, and it’s only 20 minutes from campus. Save us a fried oreo! Those are just a few of the amazing festivals happening very soon this fall―be sure to check online to read about more fairs and events coming this season, because there’s tons of them. Happy Fall and stay pumpkin spicy!

Ariel Rogg

Montclair '22

Ariel Rogg is a sophomore at Montclair State University, majoring in Journalism and minoring in International Studies. She enjoys traveling, movies, spending time with friends and family, singing to all genres of music, and meeting new people. Ariel hopes to pursue her dream of becoming a producer, newspaper writer, television reporter, or all of the above! She is excited for this school year and to write amazing content for HerCampus readers.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.