This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As college students, we should avoid unnecessary spending at all costs. If there’s an opportunity to save money, we should all take it! One thing college students should really save their money on is makeup. Sephora makeup brands are definitely great, but they perform just as well as certain drugstore brands. Listed below is a step by step makeup routine that will have you looking snatched while not breaking your bank!

Primer- When I’m getting ready for class, I like to save as much time as possible. So for primer, I just use my daily moisturizer! If you’re one of those people who swears by primers though, I would definitely recommend Maybelline’s Instant Pore Eraser.

Foundation- Recently, I’ve been loving the LA Girl Pro Matte Foundation. This foundation does a really good job at keeping my oily skin hidden from my peers as I maneuver through classes all day. 

Concealer- Elf has been stepping up their makeup game this past year, and has been releasing amazing products! I’m loving their 16 Hour Camo Concealer because it covers all of my imperfections, and makes me look like I actually got a full night’s sleep.

Loose Setting Powder- The best loose powder I’ve ever used in terms of both affordable and high-end products would be the Maybelline Fit Me Loose Finishing Powder. I use this powder to bake and even lightly set the rest of my face. Don’t worry, you won’t t turn into flashback Mary when using this product!

Bronzer- I never have time to contour in the morning, so I just put on some bronzer and leave it at that! The Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer is extremely easy to use and blends like a dream. This bronzer is definitely beginner-friendly.

Blush- Milani’s Rose Powder Blush is one of the prettiest blushes that I’ve ever used. Not only is the packaging beautiful, but the blush itself looks natural on the skin and blends easily with other makeup. 

Highlighter- The right highlighter can really make your makeup look come together. One of my favorites is the Wet and Wild Megaglow Highlighting Powder. This product will have you looking like a glazed donut! 

Eyeshadow- If I have a little extra time in the morning, I love to put on some eyeshadow. The NYX Warm Neutrals Ultimate Eyeshadow Palette is perfect for everyday wear. The colors are extremely versatile so you’ll be able to create various looks with them! 

Mascara- I don’t know about you, but I’m definitely not the type of girl who can apply a full set of fake lashes before class in the morning. However, the Essence Lash Princess Sculpted Volume Mascara brings so much life and fluffiness to my lashes that they even look like falsies! 

Brows- I never have the time to sculpt and shape my brows in the morning, so I just brush a little brow gel over them and it makes a big difference. Covergirl’s Easy Breezy Volumizing Brow Gel is a great option because it is long-wearing, waterproof and comes in three different shades! 

Lips- A matte liquid lipstick is my daily go-to because it doesn’t smudge throughout the day and is long-wearing. Maybelline’s Superstay Matte Ink Lip Color is a great option that comes in a variety of colors

Setting Spray- When you’ve finished beating your face, the last step is to spritz some setting spray over your makeup to ensure that it stays in place throughout the day. NYX Professional Makeup Matte Finishing Setting Spray does an amazing job of keeping your face matte and beautiful for the whole day!

Briele Wallace

Montclair '22

Briele is a sophomore at Montclair State University, majoring in Fashion Studies. She loves fashion, makeup, watching Netflix, and spending time with her family and friends!
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.