jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

Dust Yourself Off & Try Again: The Beauty in Failing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Failure.

It’s probably everyone’s least favorite “F-word” and one that we try to avoid at all costs. There was a time when I would drive myself crazy trying to make sure that I did things right the first time around. Usually, I would fail – the first time, the second time, the third time (the list can seem infinite.) But how many failures is one too many? Well, there’s no such thing.

There is a beauty in failing that people “fail” to recognize. We are so used to seeing the finished product that we don’t even take the time to think about the multiple attempts it took for us to see that finished product. We scroll through Instagram and see the perfectly candid photos, videos, and successful products but we don’t think about the retakes and rerouting. “Plan A’s” are cool, but it’s the “Plan B’s” and beyond that truly test us and assist us in understanding ourselves. Most of us are unaware of our strengths until we are tested on them.

We have to realize that failure is our biggest teacher.

It took Thomas Edison 1,000 tries before he successfully created the light bulb.

When a reporter asked Edison, “How did it feel to fail 1,000 times?” Edison responded, “The light bulb was an invention WITH 1,000 steps.”

Now I know, it’s never fun to fail. Whether it be in class, on an assignment, at a sport or even something as simple as following directions, it sucks. After the fact, you find yourself dwelling on all the little things you could have done better. We tell ourselves that we should have slowed down or went a little faster. We should have planned things better or researched more.

But that fact that failed is not what you should be focusing on. You should be celebrating the fact that you came to a realization. You realized that your “Plan A” didn’t work. Don’t stop. Take that knowledge and realize this is just the first of many (who knows, maybe 1,000) steps you will take towards success. When you have a goal in mind, it’s so important to not fear falling on your face. It is when you are at that low point, with everyone waiting for your next move, that you’ll find your strength to get back on your feet.

So immerse yourself in the progress!

Absorb yourself in your “Plan B’s” and beyond. Success never happens overnight. It’s a cliché we’ve all heard before, but it’s true. You have to be encouraged by the downfalls and interpret them as nothing more than being allotted time to grow and improve. There is always room for improvement. Sometimes, your Plan A is not your best plan, but merely a rough draft of the greatness to come. Not getting it right the first time around doesn’t make you a failure, it makes you human.

Trial and error are the necessities of success. Think about this: we all laugh at movie outtakes, failed DIY projects, and caught-off-guard photos, yet we sometimes forget the fact that they all have one thing in common: intent. The intent for the first attempt to be their best attempt. And yet, they only prove that sometimes greatness takes more than one try! Sometimes, it takes a flubbed line, the realization you bought the wrong art supplies or an unfortunate double chin pic for you to realize; “I’m just gonna have to try this again.” And that’s okay. Fall in love with the progress. In the end, there’s a beauty in failing and it’s called learning.

As the saying goes, “There’s no such thing as failure – only learning.” 

South Jersey native whose passion for writing lured her 14 miles from New York. Lataya is a student at Montclair State with a major in Journalism.