The Do’s and Don’t’s of the Selfie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.
After Ellen’s EPIC selfie on Sunday, how can any of us ever come close to that? All though most of us may never achieve celebrity status, that doesn’t mean we can’t have a damn good selfie posted on our favorite social media site. With that being said, here are the DO’s and DON’T’s of a selfie. 

DO: Smile! Smile widely, smile brightly. Smile with your eyes! Just look HAPPY! If you are going to opt for a more seriously VOGUE look, give us that supermodel 
smirk. No frowns allowed!

DO: Use lighting to your advantage. Going outside or in a well-lit room to take your picture, not only does the quality of the picture improve but it will also give you a lively glow!

DON’T: Try too hard… if you look uncomfortable in your selfie, chances are people viewing it may look uncomfortable. Just be natural!

DO: Check your surroundings before you take a picture. We have all seen the “toilet in the far left corner” selfie and honestly, it’s simply a complete eyesore.

DON’T: Overuse hashtags. We get it! You want the entire world to see and like your picture but not only is it obnoxious, but it also invites spam to your picture. Be wary and keep it simple. #selfie 

DO: Get creative with your selfie. Try something different like a goofy face or a HCMontclair favorite, #nomakeupMonday. 

DON’T: Use the duck-face. Only do it if it applies to the rule above. Goofy purposes only! Duck-faces are so 7th grade anyway.

DO: Take group selfies! Invite your mom, dad, brother, sister, dog, cat, whoever you’d like. It makes you seem a little more loving. 

DO: Feel confident when taking that selfie- it will show! Nothing is more important than feeling wonderful and beautiful about yourself.

Show us your selfies by using #HCMSelfie ! 
"Fashions fade, style is eternal" -Yves Saint Laurent