Does Anyone Actually Know How Hard it is to be a Woman?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Societal standards for women often super exceed the norms, all while insulting their rights to be liberated. In other words, women are expected to maintain a facade to uphold a particular image then, in turn, are scrutinized for being a certain way. This is an irony that deviates the purpose to be valued and respected as an individual. Resulting in women fighting for respect and this is a theory that can be seen with the opposite sex and also within the community of women in itself. Throughout history, we’ve seen women pushed against the grain to either rebel against cultural norms, upheld graceful images, break the glass ceiling or subdue unethical sexual advances. However, does anyone really know how hard it is to be a woman?. 

Society prompts women to behave a certain way from suggesting how to dress, how to look or even how to think in terms of conforming to sexist ideologies. However, in the midst of all these unfortunate circumstances, there is an unspoken dark side of the realm that is hardly ever talked about; the scrutiny women face within their own community with each other. This is an issue that is subconsciously ingrained within the community, it affects the relationship amongst women in terms of genuinely supporting each other without it being accompanied by sly incentives. This doesn’t go to say that ingenious women who denote signs of encouragement are non-existent in the community. In fact, there are many prestigious women who thrive to influence the community of women to excel beyond boundaries. For instance, Michelle Obama, Tarana Burke, Yara Shahidi amongst countless other notable women. Nonetheless, we can no longer refuse to acknowledge that there is a notion that enables women to see each other as rivals before seeing each other as allies. These notions are formed through failed experiences from interactions amongst each other.

These failed experiences tend to taint a perspective that fosters problematic discernment towards pursuing a healthy friendship between women. The outcome of this predicament leads to uncertainty and is usually influenced by stereotypical judgments that aim to rationalize a fixed mindset. For example, some of the most prominent reasons as to why women don’t get along with each other are due to competitiveness, jealousy, and spiteful disposition. Unfortunately, this situation involves toxic demeanor that stems from each individual experience in society and there’s no one person or one aspect to blame for these tragic circumstances; simply because its a combination of factors that leads to this. 

Yet, with all the adversity women face from society such as the gender pay gap, misogynism, and for some — toxic upbringings, we still take it upon ourselves to degrade and turn on each other for petty reasons. All in all, It’s time to acknowledge the fact that society boxes us in enough as it is, for us to turn around, scrutinize and be discourteous to each other. Women are capable of having the power to lead with admirable characteristics that can help heal or influence a nation of young girls to break generational cycles of hurt women. Prompting young girls to grow up to be kindhearted and optimistic amongst each other. This goes to say, Does anyone actually know how hard it is to be a woman?

Venus Blackford

Montclair '21

Venus Blackford, a graduate of Montclair State University ('21), holds a major in Psychology and a minor in Public and Professional Writing. Her true passion lies in using the power of writing to foster dialogue & promote inclusivity. As a valued contributing writer for Her Campus Montclair, she contributes to one of the most esteemed chapters of the premier online magazine for college women. With her sights set on a successful career in communications, Venus aspires to be part of a dynamic team that creates significant impact on a larger scale.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.