Do Your Research Before You Donate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

This past September marked a devastating hurricane season. As the summer was coming to an end, Hurricane Harvey became the first serious hurricane to hit the U.S. since Wilma in 2005. It dumped about 27 trillion gallons of water on Texas and Louisiana. Harvey’s four days of terror caused terrible damage in several cities in Texas and left thousands of people without electricity and homes. According to ongoing estimates by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, at least 150,000 properties in Texas have been affected by Hurricane Harvey.​​​​

A few days after Harvey, Hurricane Irma tore through South Florida as a Category 4 storm and destroyed the Caribbean. Shortly after, Hurricane Jose formed, passing the Caribbean Islands until Hurricane Maria unexpectedly formed and destroyed Puerto Rico, causing more damage as it attacked the island with strong winds and over two feet of rain for 24 hours.

In the wake of these storms, people around the nation rushed to help – contributing resources and money to help aid those affected. Many organizations advertise their part in the relief and ask for donations but it’s important for Americans to be aware of where their resources are going and make sure they’re reaching the devastation directly. A common organization that people immediately assume to donate to and is an expert on promotion is the American Red Cross. According to an editorial in The New York Times, Americans started giving to “smaller, local charities with a track record in Texas” after years of media reports documenting the Red Cross’s failure to account for how it spent their money.

ProPublica and NPR reported in 2014 that Red Cross supervisors would order trucks to drive around empty for the sake of appearing to help during Hurricane Isaac. Despite the Red Cross’ enormous size and revenues ($2.7 billion in 2015), the vast amount of money it collects from Americans and its budget that comes from government agencies may result in less accountability than Americans might expect.​​​​

If you want your money to make a direct difference, it’s recommended that you donate to local organizations. 

Here are some that I found:

• Unidos Por Puerto Rico provides aid to hurricane victims in Puerto Rico
  • Check for local businesses that are acting as drop-off locations for donated items (Some of our local organizations are PACO and Street Fame Barbershop in Jersey City or firehouses and community drives)
  • ConPRmetidos is still raising money for hurricane relief (Focusing primarily on immediate needs like shelter, food, and water)
  • Puerto Ricans in Action is raising money through GoFundMe to be used toward helping victims of the recent hurricanes

Be sure to donate to local, national, and global charities that will make use of your money and help out those in need.

Overall, don’t forget to ask questions and do research!

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 4

Hello everyone!!  I’m a Senior, and majoring in Communication and Media Arts and minoring in Business at Montclair State University.  I'm minoring in business hoping to have my own business in production in film or run my own communication and video/ photography blog.I like doing videography because I've always liked  being behind the camera and having the power to create  my own content for people to enjoy. Last summer I decided to take on photography and it was the greatest decision I made. love doing creative shoots and capturing people's souls. I am the type of person to crave adventures and try new things. Life is too short to be afraid and worry about what people (who don’t know you) think of you. I also enjoy being organized and writing down my day in my planner. I feel like I am decluttering my life and I feel lighter. I’m all about the experience you gain from the people you surround yourself. For me it's about the journey rather than the destination. I feed off from people’s high energy and love to connect and work with people. As life goes on, I'm  learning more about myself and my determination to succeed is what  forces me to get out there and grind!!!
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.