This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Spring is just around the corner (and, if you’re lucky like us here at MSU, you’ve already gotten a taste of warm days and sunshine!) With the weather starting to change, you might find that your dorm room, bedroom, or apartment is lacking some liveliness these days. For just a few dollars and a bit of your time (we know you’re procrastinating studying for midterms!), you can create some beautiful room decor pieces to add a little Spring to your (door) step.

Tassel Garland

I love these Pinterest-favorite Tassel Garland, but you don’t need to spend top dollar for one. Head to your local dollar store and pick up some tissue paper and twine. That’s all you’ll need for this cute DIY.

Floating Butterflies (Or anything else!)

This is the perfect DIY for crafty girls who keep supplies around just in case. All you need is scrapbook paper or cardstock, twine and either a branch, piece of wood, or some damage-free wall hooks to make some pretty floating butterflies. PS: swap the shape to whatever you’d like to make it more personal to you!

Mini Flower Bouquets

A trip to the thrift store and a sale on fake flowers was all it took for me to make this pretty display on a spare bookshelf. If you live in a dorm, candles are probably not allowed, but the flowers would look just as pretty (and you don’t even need to water them!)

DIY Pillows

I saw a picture of these pillows and fell in love! They are super easy and felt can be bought cheap at places like Walmart and local fabric/sewing shops. This tutorial requires sewing, but to be honest you could get away with using fabric glue instead.

Initial Plaques

I found this wooden initial at a craft store for 99 Cents, and use spare scrapbook paper and glue to make a sure display piece that didn’t break the bank. Even if you have no artistic ability whatsoever, you can do this DIY!

Image Sources: 1 2 3

Victoria Testa (or, as she likes to be called, Tori) is a Senior English major and Journalism minor at Montclair State University. She is currently in the process of applying to graduate school at MSU to pursue a higher degree in Education/The Art of Teaching. She is an outdoorsy, outgoing, friendly face on campus who is most often found with a cup of coffee and Netflix on.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.