Wellness

DIY Skincare for the Ultimate College Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Every college girl wants to keep up with her skincare routine but sometimes the expense of having to restock on higher quality products can be extremely painful for our bank accounts. Instead of having to restock on products every time the store runs out, here are some much cheaper ways to get flawless looking skin!

1. DIY Dark Circle Eraser

What you’ll need:

• Turmeric (helps lighten dark spots and circles)
  • Agar Powder (made from red algae which hydrates the skin and reduces inflammation)
  • Water

First, mix 1 pinch of turmeric and 1 teaspoon of agar into a small bowl. Next, boil 3 tablespoons of water. Once the water finishes boiling, add it into the mix of turmeric and agar powder and mix it all up. Let the mixture cool until it turns into a jelly-like consistency! Then, use a small spatula to spread evenly under your eyes. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and then peel it right off! Once you peel off the mixture, you’ll notice your under eyes feel tighter, more hydrated, look brighter and ZERO puffiness! This is perfect to do after those sleepless nights studying for exams!

2. DIY Instant Glow Hibiscus Face Mask

What you’ll need:

• 2 cups of boiled water
  • 2 tea hibiscus bags (hibiscus is rich in antioxidants which help reduce appearance of large pores, acne, redness and makes the skin so smooth)
  • 2 tablespoons of agar powder (whisk in while your water is boiling)

When the water and tea are done boiling, slightly let the mixture cool and apply a thick layer onto your whole face. Leave it on for 10 minutes letting it it dry completely! Once dry, peel it all off at once! You’ll see the imprint of your face in the mask which looks so freaky but so cool!  

3. DIY Blackhead Remover Strips

What you’ll need:

• 1 tablespoon of Xanthan Gum (helps to make a glue-like paste)
  • Lemon essential oil (tightens pores and prevents future blackheads)
  • 3 tablespoons of water

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until the consistency turns into jelly. Clean your nose with a dry paper towel to remove any oil. Cut out a strip of paper towel small enough to place on your nose. Apply the mixture on your nose and stick the paper on top. Then, apply the mixture once more on top of the paper towel you have already stuck on your nose, completely soaking it in the mixture. Let it dry and then rip it off in one motion.

These DIY skin products are absolutely perfect for anyone in college who is on a budget but still wants to keep up with maintaining healthy, glowy skin! Who says we can’t be balling on a budget? Follow @farahdhukai on Instagram for more easy DIY skin and beauty recipes!

Alexa Rae is a Jersey girl with a passion for fashion. She is a Montclair State University alumna with a BA degree in Fashion Studies and minor in Fashion Merchandising. Alexa was a writer for HCM for 4 years, having concentrated on fashion and lifestyle related articles. Her future career goal is to have her own successful fashion brand.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.