Dive Deeper Into Your Personality with These Tests

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

What better way to spend my time than seeing if Buzzfeed can guess how old I am based on my breakfast eating habits? I love taking quizzes as much as the next person, because who wouldn’t want to know what unicorn they are or when they’ll meet their soulmate based on their ice cream preferences, but I get even more excited when I take a quiz that allows me to explore the ins and outs of who I am. 

If you’re a personal development nerd like I am, you’ve probably taken all of these tests, analyzed the results, and have retaken them multiple times to monitor your consistencies. If you haven’t entered the wonderful world of quizzes and self-improvement, welcome! Here are four resources to get you started.

Myers Briggs Personality Test

When you receive your results, you’ll learn all about what your four-letter code means! There are 16 personalities. The wonderful thing about this website is that it thoroughly explains what each letter in your code means, why you have certain habits, and how you carry your relationships. 

I’m INFJ, meaning I’m introverted, intuitive, feeling and judging. Not only does the website explain what each of those traits means, the percentage you are of each of them, and how they string together to form your personality, but it also tells you what famous people you’re similar to. Lady Gaga and I share the same personality type.

Enneagrams

Personal development podcasters rave about enneagrams. I first heard about these was from one of my favorite influencers, Rachel Hollis! When I first dove into enneagrams, I noticed there are tons of test sites out there. I happened to like this quiz the most and found that the rest of the website was easy to navigate so I could get a better understanding of my results. 

I’m an enneagram 1 wing 2. As you examine your new personality profile, you’ll see a glorious pie chart. You’ll have a dominant number, your enneagram, and a number next to it that falls into second place, which is your wing. All of the numbers on the chart have relationships with one another that indicate the areas where you can improve your personality and ways you can grow. 

Zodiac Sign

Stay with me here! If you looked at this bullet point and scoffed, your only experience with astrology is probably a random internet horoscope telling you that you’re going to face great tragedy when the sun goes down or something dramatic like that. But astrology is not nonsense! It’s actually a wonderful way to get more insight into your life because everything is written in the stars. I’m not saying religiously follow your daily horoscopes, but I am saying take a peek at your sun, moon and rising signs to discover more about how your birth has influenced your personality. I’m a Gemini; I’ll leave you wondering about my other signs.

Your sun sign is your basic personality. It’s who you are when people get to know you. Your moon sign is how you think and process your emotions and your rising sign is the impression you give off to other people. 

I feel that Co – Star explains basic astrology clearly and is beginner-friendly. Plus, you can connect with your other friends and see your compatibility.

Sorting Hat

If you’re obsessed with Harry Potter, you know we don’t stan J.K.R. right now, but we can appreciate her work. Yes, Hogwarts houses are fictional and this is more of a lighthearted quiz, but I believe you can learn a few things about yourself based on where you’re sorted. Each of the four houses is based on core values. Once you discover your Hogwarts house, your own core values might be revealed to you. 

You can take the sorting hat quiz by signing up on the official Wizarding World website, or if you’re looking for an option that doesn’t involve pulling out your secret email address for miscellaneous websites (we all have one), I feel this Buzzfeed quiz gives pretty accurate results. 

When I was 11, the traditional sorting hat age, I was sorted into Hufflepuff. When I found myself retaking the quiz in high school, I was sorted into Gryffindor and have been flaunting scarlet and gold colors ever since! It’s hard for me to say which house I identify more with. I have a fondness towards both.

I’ve found wondrous insights after taking all these quizzes and I’m still learning more about my personality profiles every time I do a Google search. My best tip for taking these tests is to take as much time as you need. Think about each question thoroughly and answer as honestly as possible. It’s easier to be honest with your answers when you don’t have someone hovering over your shoulder. I’m all for personal growth journeys alongside friends and family but maybe turn your screen away from them as you answer each question.

On your next solo self-care date, after lighting your favorite candles and drawing your bubble bath, pull up these quizzes and get to know yourself better! Self-improvement is an investment in yourself.

Love,

Camryn

Camryn is a senior at Montclair State University with a Communications Studies major and a minor in Entrepreneurship. She is a passionate certified fitness instructor specializing in yoga, POUND, and barre. When she's not instructing classes or writing inspiring articles, you'll find her experimenting with her makeup, crafting, eating dessert, going on thrilling day trips, or obsessing over Disney.
Bella is a Senior at Montclair State University studying Communications and Media Arts with a minor in Business. She is currently the Senior Editor as well as contributing writer for Her Campus Montclair and is very excited to take on the role of Vice President and Co-Editor in Chief for the spring '21 semester.