December Book List (Cozy Winter Edition)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

In the winter there’s nothing better than curling up with a good book. Personally, I love a good book as the best excuse to do nothing else but read all day! If you have time over winter break, these books are a great reason to curl up by the fire with a cup of cocoa!

The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden (fantasy/folklore): 5/5⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

This whimsical book is sure to make you feel like winter is truly here. Set in a magical medieval Russia, this fantasy novel is inspired by Russian folklore. Vasya, a young girl learns to use her newly discovered abilities to communicate with mythological creatures, and define herself in an Orthodox society determined to stamp out otherness. This novel, although in the YA (young adult) section, is an enchanting read for all ages. I read this in one day, I just couldn’t put it down!

The Dead Romantics by Ashley Poston (supernatural romance): 4/5⭐⭐⭐⭐

Ghostwriter and romance author, Florence, doesn’t believe in romance anymore. After struggling to meet a harsh deadline from her new, sexy editor, she has to travel home, despite not visiting in years. Romance is dead, but so is her handsome editor. She struggles with literal ghosts of her past, as well as dealing with the hot one that won’t leave her alone! I enjoyed this book immensely! It’s a quick and spicy romance read, but one that is thoroughly unpredictable and unique!

Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia: (horror fiction): 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

If you’re looking for a reason to hide under the blankets this December, look no further than this chillingly gothic read. Set in 1950s Mexico, the glamorous debutante Noemí receives a concerning letter from her newly married cousin asking for help. Although an unlikely rescuer, Noemí soon finds herself falling deeper into the twistingly horrible High Place mansion. I had the weirdest dreams after reading this, it’s such a unique way of blending the horror and gothic genre. Read this with the lights on folks!

Dava Shastri’s Last Day by Kirthana Ramisetti: (drama/fiction): 4/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

If you’re at all a fan of HBO’s Succession, this book is for you. After a dying matriarch and billionaire leaks the news of her own death from the comfort of her living room, her children and family grapple with family secrets of their own. A story about a legacy that’s full of startling commentary and comedy, this novel is sure to be one that sticks with you.

Runner’s Up (almost made the list):

• Anne Rice’s Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (Now a Prime original)
  • Fuzz by Mary Roach
  • The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren
  • Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Robyn Platz

Montclair '24

Robyn is a Public Relations student studying at Montclair State. When she's not writing or running late to class, you can find her spending too much money on plants! :)