Cute V-Day DIYs To Save Your Wallet—And Your Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

If you’re still counting down the days for your FAFSA refund to get here and Valentine’s Day is approaching faster than the e-check, don’t worry! Trust me, your relationship will not end because of delayed processing. To make sure it really doesn’t, here are some inexpensive DIYs to ensure you’ll stay together until your bank account is okay. (Anything that happens after that is none of my business!)

Air-Dry Clay Crafts

If we share similar “For You” pages, then you’ll know that trinket trays, candle holders, mini vases and, little decorative pieces are all the rage right now. Instead of heading to your nearest Urban Outfitters to take part in the home decor trend, get yourself a bucket of Crayola Air-Dry Clay for less than five dollars and some acrylic paint at the dollar store instead. 

TikTok has some easy-to-follow tutorials where you can release your inner sculptor in no time. If you want to make your present extra cute, you and your partner can make trinkets for each other! 

Friendship Bracelets

For a nostalgic gift, buy some beads and jewelry strings and turn a cheap purchase into a sentimental gesture. You can spell out your partner’s name, your anniversary date, an inside joke or, whatever you’d like. (Maybe just don’t spell “I’M BROKE.”)

And in the name of nostalgia, evoke the spirit of “sharing is caring!” You can make bracelets for each other because if your boyfriend isn’t your bestie, what’s the point? 

Handmade Cards

Hallmark who? 

All you need for this craft is some white construction paper, markers, and your creativity! Fold that paper in half and write or draw whatever your heart desires. 

If you and your partner are more environmentally conscious, no worries–this craft can easily be made paperless! Download an app like ProCreate or PicsArt and get to scribbling. Both apps have a range of brushes that make art easy, no matter what skill level you may be at. 

And here you go,: 3 easy and affordable ways to save your Valentine’s Day! Maybe take your partner somewhere nice when the direct deposit hits, just in case…

Chelsea Pujols

Montclair '25

Chelsea Pujols (she/her) is a junior Journalism & Digital Media major who greatly suffers from the "too much" gene. Having written at ReDefy, HudPost, The Montclarion, and serving as a Visual Arts Resident at Grain of Salt Magazine, she is looking forward to being a part of the Her Campus Girl Gang!