Create a Comfortable Environment For Your Virtual Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Just like it’s essential to have a schedule and create habits while you’re at school, it’s just as essential to do so when you’re working from home. COVID-19 has presented a lot of university students in a unique position – where some students have the right to choose to go back to classes in-person or learn from their humble abode. Even if your webcam won’t be on during classes, keep reading to find new ways to lift your mood during class time, while being comfortable as possible!

Comfort is Key!

The philosophy behind “comfort is key” stands true for most situations in life, such as your social life, academics, clothes, and furniture! You don’t want to buy an uncomfortable armchair or a big accent table “just for the aesthetic”. Yes, a part of decorating your room is for an aesthetic, however, it’s about creating the most pleasant ambiance in your bedroom. This can allow for multiple sitting positions every half hour or so, from your desk to a matching, comfortable armchair.

Make sure the armchair or accent table you choose to go along with the aesthetic you want to create. For example, if you’re in a room that has one or two windows, it would be great to open up your room with off-white curtains and place a few plants and flowers in the corners of the room. You could also set up a few LED lights, in the form of the moon, stars, or any other mood lighting you prefer to lighten up the mood at night!

Your Diet and Health – Make Them Your Priority

If COVID-19 has taught us anything, it’s that your health is a concern and can easily be in danger if you’re not careful enough. This might bring about a lot of anxiety for some folks, but in the end, you’ll be taking care of your body more than ever before just by developing a few new habits. Taking vitamins has been a popular ritual in the morning for a lot of people, but we should pay attention to the food we give our bodies. Although, it might feel great to have fast food, try having some more fruits while they’re still in season!

Enjoy refreshing fruits like strawberries, cantaloupes, cherries, blackberries, and peaches while it’s still warm out. Also, make sure to have fruits that have plenty of antioxidants such as, papayas, pears, strawberries, figs, and oranges. You’d be surprised how you feel every day by exchanging a bag of chips with one of these fruits for your snack time! You’ll have more energy and antioxidants which improve your body in the long run to fight diseases!

Form Healthy Habits While WFM

It’s great having a scheduled snack break, getting up from your seat enough times so you don’t get tired, and even adding a few pieces of furniture/accessories to your bedroom to create a relaxing environment. These are also examples of forming healthy habits that will bring nourishment to your body and soul. Remember that while it’s okay to go outside of these habits once in a while and have some fast food or skip a workout, for the benefit of your mental health. If you overdo it, you might feel overworked and worn out, and it could feel like a chore rather than a healthy habit. Take care of your health and get ready for these classes – you can do it!

Harmeen is a student at Montclair State University, New Jersey and is majoring in Business Administration with a Concentration in Marketing. Of course, besides being a Marketing student, she's interested in fashion and lifestyle, and motivated to write unique pieces for her interests.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.