This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

So what’s it like being the oldest sibling?

Well, being the oldest sibling is an advantage because you’re the firstborn, but it does come with a price. First, let’s look at the advantages you have at being the oldest sibling. You’re the firstborn, so you’re the first in everything: you have the most childhood pictures, you’re the role model, and you have authority over the youngest. However, it does come with an excessive amount of pressure.

Being the oldest means having the most responsibility. One in which you’re the second head of the house once your parents are not home. This means that you’re responsible for the well-being of your siblings, yourself, and making sure everything’s in order. 

The second is being on top of your younger siblings and making sure you could guide them in the right direction when possible. Luckily for them, as an older sibling, you’re able to give support, advice and knowledge on scenarios you’ve already experienced first-hand. Unfortunately, as a firstborn, we didn’t have anyone doing that for us when we were younger.

Also, being the oldest sibling means you have the most pressure on you since you’re the role model for your younger siblings. Since you’re the role model, you’re now obligated to be your top-notch self since they look up to you and will mirror your actions over time. Overall, it just comes with an excessive amount of stress because of how much pressure and responsibility older siblings take in. 

My daily routine as the oldest sister is trying to balance my online classes, taking care of my three siblings, making sure they’re paying attention to their classes and just making sure everything is in order. However, this affects me because I’m not able to fully engage in class. After all, I’m taking care of my siblings. It affects my class participation grade because oftentimes I’m giving attention to my baby brother so he doesn’t cry while I’m in class. It affects me because I need to make sure my little sister is paying attention to her online class too. Lastly, it affects my mental health since I’m stressed because I’m trying to balance my classes, school work and taking care of my siblings at the same time. By the end of the day, I’m left completely burnt out. I’m left unable to finish my schoolwork throughout the day, so I sleep late at night because that’s the only time I’m able to finish my work without any distractions.

I can’t imagine how it must be for other older siblings that try to balance more things such as online school, taking care of their siblings and a part-time job. Maybe some older siblings have a similar experience to mine but overall, the main idea is that the job of an older sibling is challenging but rewarding in the long run.

As an older sister, I know the amount of pressure we older siblings take in is overwhelming but I’m here to let you know that you’re doing your best and I’m proud of you for all the challenges you’re overcoming!

Andrea is a Social Media and Public Relations undergraduate student at Montclair State University. Her passions include creating content, writing, graphic design, traveling, and spending time with her family. She hopes to work in the world of public relations, become an influencer, writer, editor, social media coordinator, and simply express her creativity through her work.
Tara Byrne

Montclair '21

Tara is 22 years old and a senior at Montclair State majoring in fashion studies with a minor in business. She loves keeping up with pop culture and catching up on her Youtube subscriptions. Tara mostly writes fashion, beauty, and lifestyle pieces for Her Campus. She is the current President and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Montclair. In addition, she is a Co-Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Montclair.