Webpnet resizeimagepng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Webpnet resizeimagepng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Marvel / Airbnb
Style

Consumers Continue to Push Designers into Going Fur-Free

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

This just in: The rise of banning fur in the luxury market is continuing to grow. Coach, also known as Tapestry, is among the many designers who have banned fur recently.

Chief executive Joshua Schulman stated “We understand from our employee population and from our customers that it was important to them that we take a stand on this issue.” This is an important stance because over the years many designers have joined together to ban fur to protest the unethical trade. Coach is the latest designer to ban fur among other big name brands like Burberry, Gucci and Versace.

Back in early March when Donatella Versace announced she will be banning fur from Versace’s future collections, she famously stated “Fur? I am out of that. I don’t want to kill animals to make fashion. It doesn’t feel right.”

This is a major push for the Italian design house which will pressure more designers to continue taking steps  toward banning fur. We live in the millennial age where wearing fur as fashion is unethical.

Over the years, we have seen celebrities use animal fur for warmth but also as a status symbol to symbolize luxury and wealth. However, as the world modernizes, consumers are phasing out of luxury shearlings for more ethical fashion that doesn’t harm animals.

Organizations such as PETA have continuously pushed designers to ban fur from their future collections. As society continues to evolve and become more ethically and animal friendly, faux fur is the new fur. Harming animals for shearlings are out.

I find it wrong to use animals for their fur for fashion because it’s inhumane. Animals are beautiful harmless living creatures who deserve to be loved and cared for. I am proud of Coach for joining forces with the other fashion houses to go fur-free for more ethical and sustainable clothing.

However, there are still many luxury designers and coat manufacturers who are continuing to harm animals for the use of fur regardless of it phasing out. Hopefully as more designers continue to take a stance, they can influence their peers to do the same.

Overall, this is very exciting to hear the growing number of luxury designers who are becoming more ethical and animal friendly. It’s a great evolution to happen in the fashion industry after decades of fur being used in collections. Hopefully this will continue to push more designers to go fur-free.

Sonia Anand

Montclair '21

Sonia Anand is a Senior at Montclair State University, studying Business Administration with a concentration in Management. Some of her passions include traveling the world, content creating, and luxury fashion. She is a dual national between the U.S. and UK and plans to hold an international career while experiencing living in different countries. With her extroverted and outgoing nature, she loves to take risks and push boundaries out of her comfort zone.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.