Style > Decor

College Decor Feng Shui: Manifest Good Vibes Into Your Space in an Affordable Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Hey beautiful people! Before reading this article I am manifesting positivity into your life right now. Anyways… continue on.

Take a second to think: What’s something you want to manifest in your life? Maybe money, better relationships, good health or would it be something else? What would you do if I told you that you could attract all of these things just by simply decorating your dorm room? Well… this is all made possible by the laws of Feng Shui! 

Feng Shui: for all of the wonderful people reading this article who may be unfamiliar with the term, let me explain briefly what it is, why you should incorporate it into your life and how to do it in a college budget-friendly way. 

What is feng shui?

Feng Shui is a Chinese practice that utilizes a system of laws in order to dictate spatial arrangements in the home and direct the energy flow in a space.  The goal is to balance energy forces and allow a harmonious flow between an individual and their environment. 

In this article, I will be explaining the steps to design your college dorm room according to the laws of Feng Shui, hopefully allowing you to bring positive energy flow into your dorm or apartment space. In addition, I will be sharing links as well as examples of what decor to include in a space. 

Why you should incorporate Feng Shui into your dorm space:

Feng Shui embodies the interaction between humans and the environments in which they spend the majority of their time. In this case, your dorm space is where you will spend a lot of your time either sleeping, hanging with friends or doing homework. That being said, Feng Shui will help bring balance into your everyday space. When I started incorporating Feng Shui into my life, I noticed that I was sleeping better, my relationships were starting to form healthier boundaries, and I even found that I was presented with new job opportunities that I actually enjoyed. 

The Bagua Directions and Its Associated Elements: The main steps of dorm room Feng Shui

The Bagua is a compass that indicates life areas as well as many other symbolic meanings. In general, the Bagua is an energy grid that you can lay over a floor plan. Most often, you would lay this over the entire home (the main floor plan). Bagua is the main element of Feng Shui that I incorporated into my daily space, and it has done wonders for my life. 

How to apply Bagua to your space:

Step 1: Grab a real compass or open up the compass app on your smartphone.

Step 2: Label where each direction falls using sticky notes, small pieces of paper, etc.

• If you are in a double or share a room with multiple people, you may use the compass to see what direction your side of the room is facing.

Step 3: Look below to understand what elements and colors you should include in your decor plan to manifest what you want.

• Health
    • Direction: Center
    • Color: Yellow, orange and/or earth tones
    • Element: Earth
  • Career
    • Direction: North or front door
    • Color: Black
    • Element: Water
  • Travel + Good People
    • Direction: Northwest
    • Color: Black, white and/or gray
    • Element: Metal
  • Reputation + Fame
    • Direction: South or rear middle
    • Color: Red
    • Element: Fire
  • Wealth + Prosperity
    • Direction: Southeast
    • Color: Purple, blue and/or red
    • Element: Wood
  • Knowledge + Self Cultivation
    • Direction: Southwest
    • Color: Blue, green and/or black
    • Element: Earth
  • Family
    • Direction: East
    • Color: Green
    • Element: Wood
  • Creativity
    • Direction: West
    • Color: Green
    • Element: Metal

Step 4: Check out stores such as Amazon, your local dollar store or craft stores near you for inspiration.

Examples of decor items for each element: 

When decorating your space as a college student, items can get expensive fast so having small items representing element colors is the most important part. The easiest way to incorporate each of the elements into your space is to use color and photographs printed from your local Walgreens, Walmart, Staples or any other stores that can print the photos for you at a great price. 

Here I have listed a few examples of items that you can include in your space according to each element in order to achieve Feng Shui. 

• Overall items for any element:
    • Photos (From local school supply store, superstore or drug store with cheap printing rates)
    • Color that represents an element
    • Posters or wallpaper
    • Print out pictures or art on printer paper and stick in dollar store frames
  • Wood Element:
    • Cute home decor signs that have a wood material present
    • Wooden Picture Frames (You can even pick some up from your local dollar store) 
    • Small succulent plants (Does not require much care or sunlight)
  • Earth Element:
    • Natural earth crystals
    • Clay figurines
  • Fire Element:
    • LED String Lights
    • Desk lamps
    • Paintings of the sun or stars
  • Water Element:
    • Pictures associated with the water or beach
    • Objects with a wavy or curvy texture
  • Metal Element:
    • Metal wall sign
    • Mason jars with metal lids
    • Metal desk organizers
    • Magnets or metal photo clips
    • Magnetic white board
    • Mirror

With the use of your trusty compass, and my provided list, hopefully, Feng Shui will manifest nothing but positivity into your life during the stressful times that college can bring. 

Lots of love,

-Pip

Sarah DiPippa

Montclair '22

Hey everyone! If you are reading this page, just know you are loved and perfect just the way you are. My posts will feature a variety of topics, especially ones related to mental health and healing yourself one day at a time!