Coffee Chemex: Invest in This Gadget That Will Save You Hundreds In Coffee Runs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Some may think the sleek and ultramodern design of a coffee Chemex means something complicated. In reality, a kettle, coffee filters and your favorite freshly ground beans are the three items you need that will help manage your coffee spending in the long run. This coffee gadget became popular during quarantine when we couldn’t visit our coffee shops. Incorporating a coffee Chemex into your morning routine before getting your day started will help you feel productive and ultimately energized. 

Before I made this purchase, my coffee spending was about $35 a week, sometimes more, spending $5 every day of the week. Monthly, that averages to about $140. As college students, it’s hard to manage your expenses when you’re constantly on the run between classes and even rushing for your shift at work. Of course, we love our coffee made quick, easy and just how we like it from our barista. However, using a coffee Chemex a few times a week can get you started on saving a bit more cash. Here’s what you need:

A Chemex

A Chemex can be purchased at your local Starbucks and even in most stores like Target, HomeGoods and of course, Amazon. These glass vases come in a variety of sizes based on how much coffee you want. The sizes range from 3-cup, 6-cup and even 8-cup sizes making it easy to make for yourself or a group of your fellow coffee lovers.

Coffee Filters

The filters give your coffee the texture, bitter free and smooth taste you want. Unfold the filter and place the triple-layered side against the spout.

A Kettle

You can use any tea kettle you may have at home to boil your water. Once your water is boiled, pour your water into and around the filter. Just pour enough to wet the filter. This will fully saturate and warm your Chemex. After the filter drains, pour the water out of the Chemex to rinse the filter.

Coffee Grinds

Grab your favorite coffee grinds and pour them into your filter. How much coffee you use is your personal preference on whether you like strong or light coffee. For an 8-cup coffee Chemex, I would use about 8 tablespoons of coffee. Try to shake your Chemex gently so your coffee grinds are as flat as possible.

Let the Coffee Fill the Air

This is where the aroma of coffee starts to fill the room. Grab your kettle of boiled water and start your first pour. In circular motions, pour just enough water into the filter so the coffee is fully absorbing water. This is where the coffee will expand and bloom. Give it about 30 seconds before your second pour.

Drip, Drip, Drip!

As the coffee begins to drip, repeat the pouring process about 2 more times, letting it sit 30 seconds to absorb each time. When it has dripped fully, take your filter out, throw it away, and pour your first Chemex brewed coffee!

Taking a break from visiting your barista can make you a little more cautious of extra expenses and adds to your everyday coffee routine. Now that we’re mostly at home, brewing a Chemex coffee makes me feel productive, creative and feels therapeutic to me. Since my purchase, it’s allowed me, as an avid coffee drinker, to branch out and try new coffees from different countries around the world.

Enisa Borova is a senior majoring in Communications and Media Arts at Montclair State University. She is passionate about writing, styling, and creating content for social media. In her free time, you can catch Enisa exercising, shopping and sipping on her favorite Starbucks drink. She is hoping to start a career in Public Relations and/or Marketing for a noble agency focused on beauty, fashion, and lifestyle.
Bella is a Senior at Montclair State University studying Communications and Media Arts with a minor in Business. She is currently the Senior Editor as well as contributing writer for Her Campus Montclair and is very excited to take on the role of Vice President and Co-Editor in Chief for the spring '21 semester.