Style

Closet Staple: Turtle/Mock Necks – How to Layer this Fall Basic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As the days get colder it may seem hard to style cute outfits that will still keep you warm. An easy styling tip that will keep you warm yet enhance your fall looks is adding a turtle or mock neck! I’m personally a big fan of wearing these kinds of tops in the fall even just alone with a pair of jeans. These basic tops can be layered in various ways to enhance an outfit.

Dress + Turtle/Mock Neck 

For the days that you want to be a bit girlier, you can easily pair a turtle/mock neck with your favorite dress. I know it may be cold but imagine this – a long sleeve white ribbed mock neck top paired with a plaid dress, add some black tights, black booties and a teddy coat – doesn’t this just scream fall? Another fun way to combine this style top with a dress is by doing an overall dress. I feel like sometimes we forget that overalls exist but they can be super cute, especially for fall. Pair this dress with a turtleneck sweater for extra warmth. The great thing about layering a turtle/mock neck with a dress is that it can be dressed up or down depending on the shoes you wear with it. Dress it down with your favorite white sneakers or dress it up with your favorite pair of black heeled booties.

Graphic Tee +Turtle/Mock Neck 

An edgier way to layer this style of top is by wearing it under a graphic tee. This is the kind of outfit you can easily wear to class but also rock to a concert. Pair a black turtleneck with a band tee and a pair of ripped black jeans for a trendy and edgy look. If you want to be a little bold and mix prints you can also wear a striped turtleneck under your favorite graphic tee.

Hoodie/Crew Neck + Turtle/Mock Neck:

Now last but not least, the coziest of them all, add a turtle/mock neck under a hoodie or crew neck for ultimate warmth and comfort. I know a lot of times, especially as college students, we resort to wearing hoodies. Next time you wear a hoodie or crew neck layer with a turtleneck for that effortless look.

I hope you try this style tip this fall to elevate any simple outfit. You can incorporate a turtle/mock neck top to almost any outfit, the possibilities are really endless. I know some people aren’t the biggest fans of this style top and honestly, I was one of those people before but once I gave them a shot I really gained an appreciation for them. Now at least two out of the seven days of the week I’ll be wearing one, no shame at all. 

Passion for Fashion PR
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.