Style

Closet Staple: Satin Pieces for the Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Spring is right around the corner! The days are slowly starting to get warmer and that means that it’s time to bring out the spring wardrobe. This upcoming season try incorporating satin into your looks. Satin is a super shiny and luxurious looking fabric that can add a great textural element to any outfit. There are many ways to style these trendy pieces and I hope to give you inspiration on how to do that.

Woman wearing satin slip dress
Konstantin V.

Dresses | Day Time

As the weather warms up it’s totally acceptable to start bringing out dresses! Not all dresses have to be worn elegantly, there are easy ways to wear dresses for casual days as well. Satin slip dresses are super simple and comfortable. Throw this over a graphic tee or mock neck top to make it more casual. Pair it with your favorite pair of white tennis shoes (Adidas Stan Smiths and Nike Air Force 1’s are my go-to’s!). To accessorize layer a couple of necklaces or add a belt to cinch the dress. 

Dresses | Night Out

For a night out I’m currently loving the puffy sleeve satin dress look! The puffy sleeve trend is one of my favorites and you can combine this with the satin trend for a great night out look. Pair this dress with a simple heel and necklace for an elegant look. A satin slip dress can also be dressed up to go out by adding a leather jacket and heeled booties.

Woman wearing grey long puff sleeve satin dress
Daria Sannikova

Skirts | Midi & Mini

Springtime is the perfect season to wear skirts and satin skirts are definitely going to be in this year. Skirts are great because they’re so versatile, they can easily be worn casually or elegantly. A satin midi skirt can be worn in so many ways. Pair it with your favorite graphic tee and tennis shoes for an everyday look or wear it with a puffy sleeve top and mules for a classier look. Either way makes for good Instagram pictures too! If you’re more of a mini skirt girl there are also satin mini skirts that can be styled the same as the midi skirts.

Tops | Options are Endless

Satin tops come in many styles. The most popular right now are the puffy sleeve tops and the bustiers/corsets, but you can never go wrong with a satin tank top. A puffy sleeve top is great for a date outfit, pair it with jeans for a more casual look or a simple skirt to make it dressier. Bustier tops are definitely more of a statement, I personally love the look but it can be hard to pull off. This style top is great for a night out look but I think that a blazer and dress pant with a satin bustier top would be such a look. A simple satin tank top is great on its own with jeans but it’s also a great piece to layer. It’s a staple that everyone should have in their wardrobe for the warmer days.

Woman wearing grey satin tank top
José Luis Photographer

I’m so excited for spring to be in full swing so that I can style some of my favorite satin pieces. I hope this article served as an inspiration for some of your future spring looks. Incorporating satin is an easy way to spice up any simple outfit, instead of wearing a normal tank top wear a satin one! Next time you’re out shopping, keep an eye out for satin pieces that can make a great addition to your spring wardrobe.

Passion for Fashion PR
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.