Christmas Experiences Over Material Clutter 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As I have gotten older, I have started to care less about getting things for Christmas and asking for more experiences throughout the year. As a kid, all you wanted was toys, then as a teen, you wanted a cell phone or TV for your room, but once you hit your late teens and early 20s, you can buy what you want for yourself, probably with enough money saved or you have a job that can cover you. 

I also started noticing that the more things I bring into my house off my Christmas list, just end up being house clutter if it’s not wearable or sentimental. So then I started thinking about what I could ask people to get me as a gift instead of materialistic things that would just lay about my house and never get touched. That’s when I decided to ask my parents and family members to buy me concert tickets. 

The last time I went to a concert was when I was 10, and my favorite band, Panic! At The Disco was planning to tour this year. So, before tickets went on sale, I asked my parents if they would be willing to buy good concert seats instead of buying things off my Christmas list. My parents thought it was a great idea and bought me tickets, and I had the best night of my life when they came to Madison Square Garden in September. Of course, when I heard Taylor Swift was touring, I asked some of my family members if they would like to buy this experience rather than something off a Christmas/birthday list. My aunt generously said yes, and through the chaos of the Ticketmaster fiasco, I somehow could snag a ticket for a May 2023 concert. Let’s say I was more than ecstatic about getting these experiences. 

I know I will cherish these memories for the rest of my life and be able to tell you about them in detail 20 years from now, then try to describe how I got a sock monkey plush when I was 20 years old, which now sits in my closet. However, if you’re in a situation where you can’t ask people to buy you experiences, I suggest asking your family to make a small donation to a charity you like. 

If you still enjoy making lists for people, try to think of things you use regularly. For example, I have a small list made for family and friends, and I put a Sephora gift card down because that’s where I buy my skincare products; I put a Lush gift card down because that’s where I buy my soap. I even put a bottle of chocolate syrup down because it’s one of my guilty pleasures I gravitate toward too frequently. 

Overall, I hope this article helps you come up with other ideas for a Christmas gift instead of making a list. For example, you could ask a family member for an experience of spending a night in the city with Broadway tickets, and you may get it. Good luck!

Holley is currently a senior at Montclair State University; she majors in English and minors in Business. Her wish is to pursue a career in music marketing. Holley thinks writing is a way to heal oneself and inspire others. Besides writing, she likes catching up on social media and reading graphic novels.