The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Is Colder Than Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Full disclosure, this will contain spoilers.

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina has returned for a second season and Sabrina is no longer playing Ms. Nice Witch.

The twelfth chapter is called “The Epiphany,” and focuses on mirrored gender dynamics of Sabrina’s disparate worlds. So far, his season seems hell-bent on dismantling the patriarchy, both the natural and supernatural.

Her hair color isn’t the only thing that’s changed. Sabrina has been acting strangely ever since her Dark Baptism in season one. She’s more driven, ambitious and powerful, but there’s also a dark energy leading her to make more impulsive choices that put her in greater danger.

In the first episode of season two, the Church of Night is in the process of selecting their “top boy,” a title that usually denotes a male student with exceptional prowess in the Dark Arts. As usual, Sabrina disregards the antiquated cultural norms of The Church and challenges the gender expectations of the position. She nominates herself for the position, causing an uproar among the occult community. After a few rounds of satanic trivia and a quick swig of some petrified potion, she comes close to earning the spot.

At Baxter High, Susie is trying out for the men’s basketball team. Throughout the episode, she’s taunted by players and ridiculed for trying to join the historically all-male team. Susie perseveres, continuing to practice and earn her place. She may have received some help from a little magic, but eventually, she gains the respect of her teammates. At the end of the episode, she asks her friends to refer to her as Theo.

Sabrina and Theo are just two of the characters who appear to be embarking on the journey to reclaim their power in society. Many of the female characters seem to be frustrated with the double standards and sexism that rules Greendale.

Honestly, I’m really impressed with the introduction to this season and I’m looking forward to finding out what other ways Sabrina will challenge Father Blackwood and the Dark Lord. But really, I think my biggest question is when will Harvey and Sabrina finally get back together?

Alexa Spear

Montclair '20

Alexa Spear graduated from Montclair State University with a BA in Communication and Media Arts and minors in English and Photography. On the rare occasion when she's not writing, you can find her watching Netflix or lost in the aisles of TJMaxx. Looking for a writer/editor? Shoot her an email at alexarspear@gmail.com
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.