This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

This February marks the first Valentine’s Day we’ll celebrate since the COVID-19 pandemic was declared in March of 2020. Many holidays have been uniquely celebrated over the course of the pandemic, with virtual and socially distanced gatherings replacing being in person. It’s important to stay safe to protect yourself and others, but that doesn’t mean Valentine’s Day celebrations need to be completely disregarded. Whether you’re celebrating your relationship with your partner or spending the night with your best friends, here are 7 safe ways we can show our love this Valentine’s Day!

Creating a Love Playlist

Creating a personalized playlist with your partner is a great way to feel connected even if you’re apart this Valentine’s Day. Spotify is allowing users to create their own Ultimate Love Experience playlists. You start by entering your and your partner’s names, how long you’ve been together, your ideal night together and a song that best describes your relationship. Based on those answers, Spotify will put together a playlist filled with love songs that match the vibe of your relationship. This is such a fun activity to do with your partner and a chance to discover some new songs. If you don’t use Spotify or already have a list of love songs that match your relationship, you could always make your own playlist! It’s the 2021 version of making a cassette tape or CD for your significant other.

Virtual Museum Date

One of the activities I miss the most is visiting museums. They can make for a very romantic date, but the pandemic has really made it difficult to do so. Google Arts & Culture has helped bring museums to the comfort and safety of your own home. You and your partner can visit the MoMA in NYC, the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, the Museo Frida Kahlo in Mexico and the Tokyo National Museum in Japan all in one night with just your computer. Countless pieces of art are available for you to view and learn about. It’s a great option for art lovers and a guarantee for a fun-filled night. 

Game Night

Game nights are such an exciting date idea, and there are ways you can still have one virtually. If you know other couples that will join or are looking to celebrate Galentine’s Day with your besties, it can make a great virtual Valentine’s Day party. Classic games such as charades, Mad Libs and scavenger hunts are all simple to do, but there are some games that have been converted to virtual spaces, such as Cards Against Humanity. Jackbox Games has a bunch of games that bring out both the creativity and competitiveness in everyone. For a more personal and engaging activity, the website datenightquestions.com allows you and your partner to ask each other thought-provoking questions. Game nights are a great bonding event for both romantic and platonic relationships.

Watching a Movie Together

Many streaming services offer group-watching options that allow you to watch the same movie along with others. Hulu, Netflix, Amazon and Disney+ are just a few of the streaming platforms that provide a watch party option, and from there, the choices of movies to watch are endless. Some suggestions include classics like The Notebook, Valentine’s Day, 10 Things I Hate About You or Beauty and the Beast. If you’re looking to celebrate with your friends instead, I’d suggest movies like Someone Great, Steel Magnolias or Sex and the City: The Movie. To make it even more fun, you can all bring Valentine’s Day themed snacks to enjoy while watching the movie!

Video Chat Dinner Date

Cooking together can be very romantic, and you don’t have to be physically together to do this! Start with picking out a meal that you both enjoy. Then, have your phone or laptop set up for a video chat so you can see and talk to each other while you both cook. Create the feel of a fancy restaurant by getting dressed up and lighting candles while you eat. It’s definitely not as good as the real thing, but as long as you and your partner have fun with it, it will be a nice date together. 

Send a Care Package

Sending a care package to your partner can show that you still love and care for them even when you’re physically apart. Many companies have pre-made options you can choose from, but putting a care package together yourself can show that you really put time and effort into thinking about them. You can fill it up with personal items, sweet treats, love notes, photos of your relationship, etc. – whatever you feel will show your affection. Care packages are a good way to remind someone you care about them, especially during a pandemic. 

Plan a Trip for When It Is Safe to Do So

One activity that most people miss doing because of COVID-19 is traveling. A fun activity you and your partner could do is plan a trip for when it’s safe to travel. It can be a day trip to the city, a cross-country road trip or a trip overseas – something you both can’t wait to do! Pick a place to visit and then start making a list of what you can do in that area. You don’t have to start booking things right away, but to have the idea of a vacation together in the future will give you both something to look forward to. 

While this Valentine’s Day may be different than previous years, there are still so many ways it can be celebrated safely. Have a healthy and happy Valentine’s Day!

Hailey Rooney is a Communications and Media Arts senior at Montclair State University. For Her Campus Montclair, Hailey is excited to write about topics she is passionate about, such as entertainment, mental health, women’s rights, environmental activism, and traveling. In her free time, she loves photography, embroidery, watching movies, and attending concerts of her favorite bands.