This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

In the year of 2011 Cards Against Humanity came to be. For those of you who don’t know what that is, it’s one of the first 17+ party card games to ever be released. Prior to Cards Against Humanity, board games and card games were really only designated for young kids. The company that released Cards Against Humanity also released numerous themed packs to expand the game; such as Disney, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Friends, etc.which were all also released in 2011. 

The Cards Against Humanity franchise really dominated the party game industry until around 2016 when a plethora of other party card games appeared: Drunk Stoned or Stupid, What Do You Meme?, and That’s What She Said are just a few of the many adult card games to be released that year. The popularity of this market only grew from there and now in basically any store that has a board game isle you will find numerous card games labeled as adult party games. 

Now that you’ve gotten a little history lesson on adult card games, here’s a list of my favorite games to play with friends:

Incohearant

When I say this game had me dying of laughter, it really did. My friends and I laughed so hard while playing this game we legit started to cry. It is definitely one of the easier games to play and I know you will not stop laughing like we did.

Drunk Stoned or Stupid

Another game that’s very easy to play- all you have to do is read a statement then decide which player fits that statement the most. The catch is the statements are only something a person would do if they’re drunk, stoned or stupid.

That’s What She Said

This game is similar in structure to Cards Against Humanity but  is full of innuendos. Every time you read one of the cards you’ll be tempted to say “That’s what she said.”

What Do You Meme?

If you have the natural gift for captioning photos this game is perfect for you. All you have to do is look at a classic meme and pick one of your cards as a caption for it. 

Cards Against Humanity

Of course we have the all-time favorite and classic. I cannot tell you how many friends I made at college having little dorm room parties playing this game. I think my roommate and I had at least fifteen people over at a time playing this game- it really expanded our social group freshman year.

Make sure as you’re playing these games everyone participating is older because card games really aren’t just for kids anymore!

Lydia Parker is currently a Seniorr here at Montclair State studying as an English major; who is also currently getting her Masters in Education. Like any other college girl she loves going out with friends, but also just staying in and binge-watching Netflix; specifically horror or Disney movies. Writing has always been a favorite hobby of hers, she even enjoys writing essays for school. I know, crazy right? Anyways, she's really excited to be writing for this magazine, and being another outlet for the powerful voices that women have.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.