Campus Celebrity: Sam Okafor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Her Campus has gotten a chance to sit down and chat with none other than the African Dad himself, Sam Okafor. You may know him from some of his viral Vine and Instagram videos, but today you’ll get to know more about the guy behind the character including his inspiration, hobbies, and handling social media fame.

Name: Samuel Okafor

Hometown: Bordentown, New Jersey

Major: Computer Science

Year: Junior

Birthday: July 28, 1995

Sign: Leo

HCM: So what inspired you to start making Vine videos?

SO: I’ve been making videos for almost two years now. I started off on Youtube and then I found out about the app called Vine. I wanted to try the app out and that’s what basically inspired me to start making Vine videos.

HCM: Did you expect to gain so much traction and fame from these videos?

SO: No I didn’t, but the first time I made a video a lot of people liked it, so I just continued to go along with it.

HCM: Would you want to make a career out of this?

SO: I think making videos would be a starting point, but not so much a career. I mean it’s a good platform if someone wants to get into acting or comedy.

HCM: What do your friends and family think of your sudden popularity?

SO: At first they thought that I shouldn’t make the videos, because they thought it was just a waste of time. Now that I’ve received this popularity they are for it and they support me.

HCM: What are the positive and or negative sides of being so well known?

SO: I would say one positive is that it’s a good feeling to go somewhere and have people recognize you for your work. One negative is that you have to be really careful about what you do nowadays. There are a lot of people watching your every move and what you do. Basically, I can’t get into trouble.

HCM: Do you have any hobbies aside from making viral videos? If so what are they?

SO: I do. I actually make music on the side. I’m actually coming out with a new single it’s called Ko Mi Je; which is a term in the African language of Yoruba.     

HCM: Are you involved in any on campus organizations or clubs? Which ones?

SO: I am involved in NASO [Native African Student Organization], but that’s about it.

HCM: What is your favorite song of the moment?

SO: My favorite song at the moment would be Elegushi, which is a beach in Africa. The song has an Afro-Pop type of style with an African beat to it.

HCM: If you could travel to any destination in the world where would that be and why?

SO: I would travel to California because there are a lot of opportunities there. Plus, I like the weather. I’ve visited before, but I just want to stay there. However, I have also been to London, the Bahamas, and Nigeria on family trips.

HCM: Where do you see yourself in the next five years?

SO: In the next five years I definitely see myself graduating from school. Even though my major is currently computer science, it’s just a backup. This is because I’ve always wanted to get into the entertainment industry. So, I hope to move on with my career as an entertainer.  

Update* Sam has recently announced that he is taking a hiatus from posting videos on Vine and YouTube.

However, you can still check out some of his hilarious videos on YouTube. You can also still follow him on Instagram or Vine: @samtakesoff  for some daily humor. In the meantime, check out his single Komije on http://soundcloud.com/chillzxsamoki. Thanks again Sam for sitting down with Her Campus Montclair! We wish you well with your future endeavors in the entertainment industry. Readers, If you happen to see this campus celeb around MSU, do not hesitate to say hello!

Check out some of Sam’s Vines: