Campus Celebrity: Margaret Rose Barschow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Margaret Rose Barschow

Year: Sophomore

Major: Family Child Studies

Hometown: Jackson, New Jersey

Collegiettes, meet Margaret Barschow! Margaret is a sophomore at Montclair State University and she is a Family Child Studies major. If you’re lucky enough to have gotten a glimpse of Margaret’s smile, you would probably have the best day ever! Margaret is known on campus for the smile on her face because she is very bubbly. This campus celebrity is always busy on and off campus! Margaret is a RA in one of the residence halls on campus and she loves doing bulletin boards. She is also a Nanny on the weekend. Margaret tells HC Montclair, “I am a weekend Nanny for a family; an 8-year-old girl and a 3-year-old boy. I have been with the family for 2 ½ year and they feel like my little siblings, which I am grateful for because I am an only child”. That is so sweet!   

When asked why she chose to be a family child studies major, Margaret explains to us exactly why she chose it. “I chose family child studies because I have always wanted to be a teacher. This major is the best for my personality and chosen field-I LOVE people! Therefore if I don’t end up being a teacher (please knock on wood-I am very superstitious) I will have a lot of options because of this major! These options include things like a guidance counselor, family therapist…etc. My plan B would be marriage and family counseling. I am extremely interested in the family unit and the relationship of marriage”. Having a backup plan is always a great idea! Margaret has many plans for when she gets older, she wants to travel and be a mother. “My mom and I are so close, she’s one of my role models and I cannot wait to pass on the things I have learned from her to my children. I hope to have a large family-while I love my small family (me, mom, dad, dog, and cat)-I want a house full of kids”! Margaret really wants to move onto administration and legislation. She wants to make the education system better because she wants it to be the best it can be. She tell HC Montclair, “Education is a huge passion of mine-and from my exposure and research (many know) this field is “under construction”. I would love to have a part in making our society the best it can be! An experience that led me to this was my time spent in a Newark elementary school. I saw a lot of issues being ignored and disheartening those who can make a difference [for example,] the teachers, community, but mainly the students”. Margaret has some great plans for her future and the education system!

She knows that she is going to have to work extremely hard and she tells us what she plans to do. “I am working extremely hard in school to ensure the road to my dreams is as easy as possible! There are so many components that go into achieving my goals, but I think the most important thing to reach these dreams is just being open. I am trying to experience as much as possible to be the best person I can be! Through growth, maturity, and happiness, I will best be able to reach my goals”. Well said, Margaret! She also tells us that her family is her biggest supporter. “My family is wonderful. I have a great support system within my immediate/extended family including some very close friends. However, I believe my parents to be my number one fans. My mom is one of a kind and we are very close-she’s like my cheerleader. [My dad is an] amazing person and someone I truly look up t. [He is] such a hardworking, honest, fun, and loving man. I think what makes him so great is he never did anything for me; he always was by my side letting me do things myself. He always seems to know when I need him. [He] sends me texts throughout the week letting me know he’s thinking of me, praying for me, and looking forward to when he sees me again”. Margaret has a great support system at home; it is almost as if her parents are with her all the time giving her support! We are so excited to see what Margaret will do next! Keep an eye out for Ms. Barschow!

Jennifer is a Feature Writer for Her Campus Montclair and a junior at Montclair State University. Jennifer is majoring in nutrition with a concentration in dietetics with a biology minor. She absolutely loves to write and dance and enjoys expressing her creativity through writing and dancing! She recently began practicing yoga and she loves it very much. Jennifer hopes to become a Registered Dietitian and one day write for a health & fitness magazine. Health is very important to Jennifer and she wants to share her love of health and fitness with the world!