Campus Celebrity: Cala Fils

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Collegiettes, meet this week’s Campus Celebrity Cala Fils! While she has been a commuter her four years here at Montclair State University, she has still managed to be involved in many campus activities. Regardless of the stress that comes with her commute, Cala is one determined young woman with a bright smile and a bubbly personality. You can catch Cala working up a sweat at the Rec Center in her weekly Group X hardcore classes on Fridays and Saturdays or greeting the MSU community at the front desks of Stone and Webster Hall.Name: Cala Fils

Major: French/Concentration in Translation

Year: Senior

Hometown: Irvington, NJ/Jacmel, Haiti

Celeb Crush: Bruno Mars

Dream Career: Medical Doctor

Favorite Music: Zouk/Kompa

Favorite Quote: “Hatred is born to protect love.”

HCM: What are some ways that you are involved on campus?

CF: I’m currently an instructor for the Hardcore Group X class at the Rec Center. Also, I’m desk assistant at both Stone and Webster hall, an ambassador for Le Cirque De Francais [The French Club], and I’m a general body member of CaribSO [Caribbean Students Organization]. I’ve also been a part of the snow removal crew during the winter and a summer facilities worker.

HCM: Amazing! If you could change the world with one thing other than money, what would you do?

CF: Rather than money, I would change the system of using money to pay for services. Instead I would bring back the system of bartering. So if someone provides a service to someone, rather than using money they could pay with another skill that they may have.

HCM: Wow that’s deep! Time for a fun question. If you could be any cartoon character from your favorite childhood TV show, who would you be?

CF: Koizumi from the anime Skipbeat. Koizumi is such a crazy, strong, funny and determined character and he reminds me a lot of myself.

HCM: What about your childhood shaped who you are today?

CF: Well growing up Haitian, the biggest thing in our culture is discipline. We grew up on the three L’s which are Lakay [Home], L’eglise [Church], and Lekol [School]. A lot of us joke about it now but it’s so true! But those three L’s are what helped to discipline me because I learned that there is a time for everything, to be serious, to work, and to play. I think that my upbringing helped to make me more organized and disciplined.

HCM: What is one thing you wish people knew about you?

CF: I’m a down to earth person! I can talk to other people about anything and everything from the moon to the earth. Also, if we make eye contact, just say hi!

HCM: Have you ever visited any interesting places?

CF: Yes!

HCM: Sweet. Where have you been?

CF: France, Italy, Kingdom of Monaco, Sweden and of course Haiti.

HCM: How did you get to visit all of those places?

CF: Well this past summer I was enrolled in the Study Abroad program for France and of course got the chance to visit the surrounding countries in Europe. As for Haiti, I grew up there.

HCM: Would you recommend the Study Abroad program to other students?

CF: Definitely! I think every student should take this opportunity because it helps to enhance how we view the world outside of America. Don’t swallow what the media wants you to think about other countries. By studying abroad, I got to see and compare other countries with America. It was very interesting and helped me to truly understand other cultures better.

HCM: Nice! Thanks for sharing that with us and our readers. To wrap things up, what is one of your favorite sayings you’d share with someone going through a tough time?

CF: Well the quote is in French but I’ll translate it as best as I can. The original is “L’espoir fait vivire.” The equivalent in English is “Where there is hope, there is life.” Also, it’s not going to last forever, so keep hoping!

There you have it collegiettes, Cala Fils our Campus Celebrity of the week! I have personally known Cala for about five years now. Although it is a touchy topic, Cala is not only a dear friend of mine but also a survivor of the 2010 Haiti Earthquake. Many believe that celebrity status in any right is reserved for those with their names plastered all around or on the lips of many people. However, to me Cala is a Campus Celebrity in her own right due to her resilience, strength and confidence for pushing through any circumstance that has come her way within the last few years.

After seeing the tragic passing of many loved ones, and having to integrate into an entirely new culture, she persevered. Before parting ways for this interview, I asked Cala “How did the earthquake tragedy help to shape who you are today?” and she responded “I have more of an appreciation for life. Sometimes I may be the loudest person greeting others but I genuinely find joy when I get to see my friends or family another day on this earth. Also, I’ve learned not to be mean to people. I also learned to feel more blessed and to be more grateful.”

Thank you Cala for sitting down with HCM to share a piece of your amazing life story which we hope will inspire our readers. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors!

Sophonie whom is best known as Sophie, is a Graduating Senior at what she likes to call "the best school on this side of town," Montclair State University. In her words, MSU's slogan is not far from the truth because she belives it is definitely all here! Sophie is a Psychology major and a double minor of Creative Writing & African-American Studies. Her first love is reading and second love is creating writing. This is 4th Semester as a writer for HerCampus and she couldn't be happier to still be a part of such an amazing group of young, talented writers. One of Sophie's many future goals is to become a published author.