BTS Surprises the Globe with Moving Speech to Our Next Generation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

You among many people may be surprised to see that K-pop group, BTS, gave an influential speech directed to the youth of all over the world. BTS, or “Bangtan Sonyeondan,”  is the first K-pop band to have been able to speak at the United Nations!

The band is partnered with Unicef and together promote the “#EndViolence” campaign that aims to end fear of violence as youth to feel safer and happier all around the globe. They speak about truly one of the most important topics for our youth today which is the act of loving ourselves! In the speech, Kim Namjoon, or the name he goes by on stage “RM” of BTS, generally talks about what this all means to him, explaining his simple past and how he has grown.

Namjoon says, “And maybe I made a mistake yesterday but yesterday’s me is still me. Today, I am who I am with all of my faults and my mistakes. Tomorrow I might be a tiny bit wiser and that would be me too. These faults and mistakes are what I am, making up the brightest stars in the constellation of my life. I have come to love myself for who I am, for who I was and for who I hope to become.”

These words openly explain that you should embrace every aspect of yourself, both the good and the bad, because that it what makes you, you!! It is one of the many things that will facilitate the journey of loving yourself, which in today’s society, is a major hardship for many in this generation.

Further in the seven minute speech, he urges us to all of us one last thing, “I’d like to ask all of you, what is your name? What excites you and makes your heart beat? Tell me your story. I want to hear your voice and I want to hear your conviction. No matter who you are, where you’re from, your skin colour, your gender identity, just speak yourself. Find your name find your voice by speaking yourself.”

He presents a proposal of speaking out on who we are, which started the hashtag “#SpeakYourself” where people shared their story: where they come from, what they’ve been through and where they are/what they’ve become today!  So many people came together to support each other and showed that “You Never Walk Alone” (an album name that conveniently corresponds as another inspirational message!)

Overall, not only was there a crazy famous, and not to mention BEAUTIFUL, man preaching about self love, he spoke as a genuine human being like you and I, and inspired us to realize our worth and our potential on this earth as an active member of our growing generation!  Always remember, speak yourself and LOVE YOURSELF. (And of course STAN BTS!)

Melanie is a 21 year old, senior, Communication & Media Arts major and Her Campus Montclair's Events Director. She loves listening to music, dancing, writing, drawing, doing makeup, and having fun with friends. Melanie is very extroverted and loves to go on adventures. She's constantly on social media and is always updated on her favorite Kpop bands!
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.