This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

It’s that time of the year again, ladies! You get to remember why you love your family oh so much, but why it’s best that you don’t frequently eat dinner together. Commonly adults who see you a handful of times throughout the year love asking the same questions and among them is the much dreaded relationship status. Or if you’re Latinx like me it’ll be much more direct, “Y el novio?” 

The holidays can be an awesome time to get closer to somebody special, but it can also be super awkward if you’re in that in-between phase and it’s your first holiday season together. So, here’s a checklist so you ladies can evaluate if it’s time for that fling of yours to become a partner who is family approved material, or if they need to sit this one out and decide whether they deserve to be in a situationship with you at all.

Bring them if

• You’ve met their parents. 
  • They have met your parents at least once prior. (It could be awkward if the first time they meet your parents is with the rest of the family). 
  • Your friends like them (they know you, so if this fling is new don’t ignore your friends’ opinions without taking them into consideration)
  • They’ve shown interest in wanting to take the relationship to the next level.
  • Outside of stating the desire to be with you, they act on it. 
  • If you see a future with them (You don’t want your aunt asking about that “cute girl/boy at Thanksgiving” two months later and you literally have no clue). 
  • You both feel ready. You don’t want to scare the person away by taking the wrong step forward. 

Don’t bring them if

• They claim to have a crazy ex (If they do, 9/10 it’s their fault and will also give you a headache)
  • Any exes, period. 
  • They are picky eaters — my momma will hate anyone who depreciates her food. 
  • They only text you past 12 am, you know what type of situation that is. Don’t romanticize them. 
  • You haven’t met any of their friends or anyone of importance that they tend to talk about. 
  • They’re awkward and can’t hold a conversation — Thanksgiving interrogations are not for the weak. 

I hope this checklist can help you analyze the situationship you’re in. Ultimately, whether you’d like to admit it or not, you know what the best move is. Trust your gut and only settle for what you deserve! No people who choose when they want you, that have an ex who is alive, or that won’t introduce you to their friends. Remember, this person will at least get judged by one hateful aunt — so take it easy and have that wine bottle nearby.