This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

With fall and soon-to-be winter months approaching, it’s the perfect time to switch up your makeup routine! This is the best time to rock a bold lip for the holidays or if you just want to spice up your daily makeup routine. Here are different ways to wear a bold lip and how to choose the best shade that best suits your skin tone.

1. Ravishing in Red

You can never go wrong with a classic red lip! Red is the perfect shade to wear during the winter time, especially for the holiday season. Pair a red lip with matching red accents like a red bag or shoes. Tip: When wearing a bright red lip, it’s best to keep your eye makeup minimal to allow the lip to pop! You can never go wrong with neutral eyes and a classic wing liner.

Cool skin tones (fair to medium) : A bright red lip

Warm skin tones (medium to dark): Burgundy lip

2.  Black Out

Dark lipstick shades like dark purple and black are a great way to make a bold statement in autumn. Apply dark lipstick to channel major witchy vibes. Wear a dark purple lip with a cream colored top to allow a light and dark contrast. If you go for a black lip, pair it with dark nails and a smokey eye! Tip: Balance out dark lipstick by applying an eye makeup that is a few shades lighter (ex: a smokey grey eye makeup look). It keeps the dark aspect but also allows the makeup to blend and compliment each other without losing your facial features with all the black.

Cool tones (fair to medium): Black lipstick

Warm tones (medium to dark): Deep purple

Personally, I love NYX’s soft matte lip cream in the shade “Transylvania”. It’s the perfect dark purple that is perfect for the fall season.

3. Au Naturale​

For all my simple girls out there who prefer to keep it natural, you can still spice up your makeup look with a neutral lip! Except, instead of going for a shade close to your skin tone, try going a shade or two darker. Warm brown tones are great for November, so try it out on Thanksgiving.

Tip: A warm brown lip can be easily worn with a golden eye look! It brings out your eyes while still keeping the whole makeup look natural and minimal.

Cool tones: Warm brown shades

Try NYX’s Lip Lingerie in the shades “Delicate Lust (grey/beige), “Teddy” (warm rich brown), or “Honeymoon” (grey toned beige)

Warm tones: Darker skin tones can stay with a neutral that best matches their own complexion, or even go a couple shades lighter

Try NYX’s Lip Lingerie in the shades “Confident”(muted plum) , “Beauty Mark”(chocolate brown), or “Scandalous” (brownish taupe).

For more neutral swatches see the shades offered by NYX!

Alexa Rae is a Jersey girl with a passion for fashion. She is a Montclair State University alumna with a BA degree in Fashion Studies and minor in Fashion Merchandising. Alexa was a writer for HCM for 4 years, having concentrated on fashion and lifestyle related articles. Her future career goal is to have her own successful fashion brand.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.