The Best Spots To Take Pics at Montclair State University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Photoshoots are a fun activity to do by yourself, with friends or a significant other. I love putting outfits together, doing my hair and makeup and taking pictures with friends on campus, whether just for fun or to post on Instagram. Here are some of the best spots to take photos at Montclair State University for a fun pastime that can bring your social media to the next level.

In front of the skyline view

Montclair State University has a beautiful view of the city skyline behind the Center for Environmental and Life Sciences building and Stone Hall. People pay lots of money and travel from all over the country to see views like this, so any city-lover should take advantage of this view by taking pictures.

Inside the School of Communication and Media building

This huge white and red building located across from the library looks every bit as cool on the inside as it does on the outside. As soon as you walk in, you’ll notice that it’s very futuristic-looking. Try taking some pictures on the large, sleek staircase or in front of the red wall with the light-up squares or sitting in the chairs in front of the big window with the skyline view for some innovative, modern photos.

Inside Morehead Hall

I like to consider Morehead Hall a hidden gem when it comes to photoshoots, so don’t be fooled by its old-looking outside appearance. Inside the building, when you walk near “Stair A,” you will see a small area with a wall covered in bright, multicolored stripes, making for the perfect backdrop for fun pictures. Strike some poses and take pics in front of this wall to add some color to your feed. The building connects to the School of Communication and Media, so there are multiple ways to enter.

The amphitheater

Located next to Alexander Kasser Theater, the amphitheater steps are the perfect place to strike poses and take some pics on a warm day. Stay towards the bottom for some close-up shots, or make it an adventure and (very carefully) make your way up toward the top.

The hallway inside Calcia Hall

This old brown building near the School of Nursing and Student Center is the art building on campus. It’s not very pretty on the outside, but it’s super unique and quirky once you step inside. There are plenty of colorful lockers with bold patterns all over them in the hallways, so have fun taking pics in front of these lockers for an artsy, edgy vibe.

Under or in front of the lights outside College Hall

As soon as College Hall was renovated, I saw countless posts on social media of students posing under the fairy lights outside of the building. College Hall is near Morehead hall and Alexander Kasser Theater. Be sure to check it out and snap some pics featuring those lights during the day or at night to brighten up your feed.

In front of the Red Hawk Diner

The iconic Red Hawk Diner has been closed for a while because of the pandemic, but don’t let that stop you from taking some pictures in front of it for a cool, retro aesthetic. Not too many colleges have diners right on campus, so be sure to take advantage of this by posting your pics.

The Red Hawk Statue

Are you really a Montclair State student if you haven’t taken a picture with this statue? This iconic statue is close to Freeman Hall, Russ Hall and Alexander Kasser Theater, so head over there to take some pictures and show some Montclair State pride.

Montclair State University is a beautiful campus, and these are only some of the places on campus that are great locations for photoshoots. Of course, be careful not to disrupt anyone when you have your photoshoots and be considerate of the people around you, especially if classes or events are happening nearby. Also, remember to social distance and wear masks when you’re taking pictures around other people. The world is your runway, so start exploring campus, and have fun with photography.  

Zoe Nolz

Montclair '21

Zoe is a student at Montclair State University. She is the current Fashion and Beauty Editor for Her Campus Montclair. When she is not in class or doing work, you can catch her hanging with friends, shopping, writing, watching movies, drinking smoothies, just chilling or off on an adventure!
Bella is a Senior at Montclair State University studying Communications and Media Arts with a minor in Business. She is currently the Senior Editor as well as contributing writer for Her Campus Montclair and is very excited to take on the role of Vice President and Co-Editor in Chief for the spring '21 semester.