Style > Beauty

Best Products to Revive Your Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Whether you’ve had your hair done by a professional or by a friend in your bathroom at 3:00 a.m., bleach will make it suffer. As someone who let her friend bleach it three times, an hour each and in one day, I would know.

So, how do we damaged-hair-queens-and-kings help our hair come back to life? Luckily, leave-in conditioners, hair masks and treatments are here to save the day.

It’s important to remember everyone’s hair journey is different, and everyone will have different solutions to different problems. 

Before we get into the products you should buy, we must discuss the other ways to keep your hair healthy. It’s best to be full of proteins and zinc because those two factors combat hair loss and brittle, weak hair. Even alcohol can contribute to damaged hair.

An extra piece of advice, use cool water (not too cold!) when washing your hair!

Now, let us get into the treatments that will save your scalp.

Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Yogurt Hydrate + Repair Multi-Action Leave-In $11.49

This leave-in conditioner truly gave me immediate and extraordinary results after my hair was left dead by bleach sessions. It works great whether you comb it in or scrunch your curls. 

Shea Moisture describes the product as “ideal for hair that is prone to breaking, snapping or splitting.” They also stated, “we’ve blended the right mix of certified organic Shea Butter, reparative Manuka Honey and Yogurt together in a lightweight treatment that fortifies hair with strand supporting proteins in a natural protective layer.” 

Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Leave-In Conditioner $13.99

From the Shea Moisture website, this leave-in conditioner “softens and detangles hair while controlling frizz. Perfect for those who regularly color, straighten, perm or heat style their hair…Formulated with Jamaican Black Castor Oil and certified organic Shea Butter to nourish, moisturize and support elasticity so hair resists breakage when detangling.”

Both of these leave-in conditioners are lifesavers and have completely brought back my curls from the depths of darkness.

TPH After Dark Overnight Hair Mask $14.99

A color-safe, vegan and cruelty-free hair mask that replenishes and restores your hair’s health. Blended with Grapeseed Oil, Shea Butter and Mango Seed Butter, “After Dark is a melt-into-your-hair overnight mask that provides deep moisture and love to your tresses. This mask helps to optimize vibrancy, fortify strands, and shield hair against future damage. The perfect overnight scenario.”

This hair mask even won the Real Simple Smart Beauty Award “On Your Nightstand” 2021!

Nexxus Keraphix Keratin Mask For Damaged Hair $4.29

I’ve been fortunate enough to try Nexxus products, including their shampoo and conditioner. After one use my hair was once again full of beautiful curls. So naturally, this hair mask seems like another great way to bring back some beauty to your locks.

Nexxus explains, “Using advanced protein science research and testing, Nexxus scientists identified Glutamic acid as the key amino acid hair protein loses when it is severely damaged. With this discovery, Keraphix’s transformative PROTEINFUSION blend includes black rice (a rich source in Glutamic Acid) and strengthening keratin protein to create a healing ritual that delivers clinically-proven healthier looking hair in one use.”

Essentially, after experimenting with these products and your own, you’ll be able to restore your hair to its once glorious state.

Avery Nixon

Montclair '25

A television and film major, with a minor in creative writing, and aspiring screenwriting who is taking her first step as a writer for multiple organizations at Montclair State University.