This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Finding a product that works for your specific curl pattern is quite literally like finding treasure (but finding out your curl pattern, in general, is a gem in itself, so check out this image to find out yours!). 

I grew up with some lovely 2a-2b waves that were damaged by one too many Dominican blowouts (a true beauty and curse). Currently, my hair dries out to a frizzy wavy, straight pattern and it’s crazy annoying knowing there’s something you could be doing, given that there are so many hair products on the market that are meant to target various issues and curl patterns, but not knowing where to start. And I’m sure many of you can relate. 

So, I decided to do some research for all of us. I hit social media to ask readers and friends about curly hair products they have been loving, and this is what they came up with: 

2A-2B:

DevaCurl

Everyone from fashion writers to my boyfriend’s best friend was dropping this name. DevaCurl has quality products that work especially well for wavy hair. Try out their cleansers or styling creams to see for yourself.  

2C:

Aussie, Instant Freeze Mousse with Australian Jojoba Oil and Sea Kelp

Currently adding this mousse to the list of things we love from Australia, right below the Hemsworth brothers. Apply it to damp hair and diffuse it for beautiful results.

3A: 

Suave Professionals, Firm Control Sculpting Gel

One of Her Campus Montclair’s writers loves using this gel on wet hair which she braids before bed. And let me tell you, I’ve sat next to her in class every week this semester and she’s never had a bad hair day. 

3B:

As I Am, Leave In Conditioner

I’ll forever be in awe of the luscious curls the friend who recommended this product has and I’m so happy to finally know her secret and share it with all of you.  

3C:

Not Your Mother, Curl Talk

This line is great, from shampoo and conditioner to the detangler and styling cream. 

4A-4B:

Mielle Organics

The Mane Choice

These brands are go-to’s for my girls with 4A-4B curls. Both have excellent lines of shampoos, conditioners, gels, styling creams and more!

4C: 

Shea Moisture’s Coconut & Hibiscus Line

The lovely editor that recommended this line loves using these products when it comes to styling. Especially their Curl Style Milk and Curl Enhancing Smoothie. She also suggested the Organix Coconut Milk line for shampoo and conditioner, as well as the Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque for deep conditioning

Compiling this list was a pretty fun experience as I was able to connect with people I wouldn’t regularly interact with, in addition to being able to reach out to old friends. I’m really excited to try out some of these products and I hope you are as well!

Ana Hilario

Montclair '21

Ana graduated from Montclair State University with a degree in English. She loves reading, traveling, coffee, llamas, and the Oxford comma. Follow her on Instagram @ana_hilarious_ for good vibes and funky outfits.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.