This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Aside from the lack of parking spaces, outdated buildings, and questionable food, Montclair State still has so much to offer. During my time at Montclair, I got to know the great resources that our school provides and how to make the most out of it. Whether you need help job hunting, or just want to find a place to relax, I got you covered. Here are some of the best places to check out on campus.

The upstairs lounge in the Student Center

If you ever need a place to get some work done but also want to be comfortable, you definitely should make your new spot on the 3rd floor of the Student Center. Montclair recently redid this whole section of the 3rd floor and it’s one of my favorite places to go to. It’s usually pretty quiet and the furniture is also very comfy, so that’s a plus. I may have even taken a nap up there in between classes.

The secret courtyard in University Hall

I don’t know if most people know this, but in the middle of University Hall, there are actually doors on the 1st floor that lead to a little courtyard. This spot has a bunch of flowers and is very peaceful. This location is usually empty so it’s a great place to get some work done or just to enjoy the beautiful scenery and peacefulness.

Career Services

I know for me personally, the fact that I’m a senior now and need to start figuring out what I’m going to do after I graduate, is kinda freaking me out. One huge resource Montclair provides that helped ease my nerves about finding a job is Career Services. I initially thought that going here wouldn’t help me, but I was wrong. Whether you need help finding internships, improving your resume and cover letters, interview prep, or overall career counseling, the staff here definitely can help you. To book an appointment with a career counselor, just go to Hire A Red Hawk on Nest.

Venture Cafe in School of Business

It took me 4 whole years to realize on the 1st level of the School of Business that there’s a cafe down there. And the food is great. If you’re sick of eating Panda Express every day or you need something quick to pick up in between classes, you definitely should try Venture Cafe. They have fresh and customized sandwiches, wraps, salads, soups, and coffee. There’s also a big cafeteria area where you can get work done too!

Group X Classes at the Rec Center

If you’re anything like me and don’t particularly love going to the gym, but you still want to feel in shape, then I highly recommend you check out the Group X Classes. These classes are offered all throughout the week during various times of the day, so just pick what works best for you! From Cycling classes, Morning Yoga, Zumba, etc. There are a ton of options. The instructors are amazing, and you get to meet new people! To check out what the Rec Center has to offer go to

Nicolette is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Sociology. She's a huge fan of binge watching YouTube videos, drinking iced chai latte's, and discovering new beauty products.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.