Career

Being Confident in Your Career Choice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

So many students are starting off their college years in a major they aren’t confident in or one they don’t love. Society is so caught up in being financially stable that students are willing to go through four years of college dedicated to a major they don’t care for. Most students give up on their dream career because of the doubts embedded in their minds. Why give up your happiness to meet society’s standards? Build the confidence to dedicate your four years to a major you love. Learn how to do what’s right for you and not everyone else.

Blocking out the assumptions

When it’s time for us as teenagers to break out into college it seems like everyone around us is overly invested in what we do with our lives. The questions start rolling in… “What are you majoring in?”… “What companies are you interested in?”… “What field will you be in when you graduate?” All these questions are harmless until the two cents are added.

Some of our families and friends tend to let their opinions be heard when it comes to life choices, which is great and all but in moderation. The constant suggestions being forced upon us during our time of discovery can be overwhelming and can even cloud our judgement on what we want for our lives.

These two cents being added in the equation of your life story can force you to believe the career you have in mind has no real financial benefits. Keep in mind these assumptions are nine times out of ten coming from individuals who never researched the field or understand it entirely. It’s all about how you go about things in life that determine the outcome, not a three-minute conversation.

If you’re confident in what you love to do, follow your passion. I know, that’s been said a million times but it’s true. If we aren’t doing what we love now just imagine how we could feel five to ten years from now in that field. Allowing assumptions about our preferred career choice can only lead to a lifetime of unhappiness for a short-lived pat on the back.

Prove the outsiders wrong, with a check

Remember when I said follow your passion? Well, I’m saying it again, but this time does so with goals set in place. The main source of judgement regarding one’s career choice is finances. Well, let’s handle that issue head-on.

In today’s society, there is money in everything and anything, even your hobby. If you are majoring in creative arts most assumptions are that there isn’t much money in that field. Believe it or not, that’s not true. Creative arts is definitely a competitive field and there’s a lot of effort put into it. If we’re being honest here, what career actually requires little effort… I’ll answer that, none.

The creative arts are extremely needed in today’s generation, the world is based on creativity. If we had no more creative arts majors who would design logos, web pages, wall art, magazines, home decor, etc.? The demand for the arts is increasing daily and the opportunities are endless. So don’t let the assumptions fool you, just because you aren’t carrying a briefcase and wearing a suit doesn’t mean money isn’t the motive.

Remain consistent, determination kills judgement

Nothing says, “ I told you so” like a boss on top of their work. Your career can be your hobby but it’s also your lifestyle and in order to be successful you’ve got to remain consistent. Having short-lived motivation is one step backward and one too many steps away from your dreams. The goal is to make a living out of what we love, not takes breaks in between because we can.

Not to say we aren’t allowed to take a breather and enjoy the roses, we are still human. Just keep in mind, during this time of setting the foundation for our career’s, time is of the essence.

The lack of inconsistency leaves room for doubt, not only from outsiders but from yourself. We start to question our abilities when that motivation is short-lived, rather than questioning ourselves we’ve just got to have that determination.

Doubting doesn’t pay the bills and surely doesn’t boost your confidence. Times get hard and this time of discovery gets tricky when we are going off faith. Reminding yourself that consistency is key can keep that faith going and surely kill the doubtful judgement.

Do what is best for you and love it

Now that we’ve blocked out the assumptions, got our goals set in place and we are determined to stay consistent we’ve just about mastered what’s best for us; the only thing left to do is to get started and love every bit of it. This is the career path you chose to go on because you knew it was ideal for your happiness. This is just the beginning of a bright future, one that doesn’t have room for outside opinions. If it isn’t support, it’s indirect negativity and you deserve better.

Our time of discovery during our college years is OUR time. Let your passion shine through and let the check speak for itself.

Lynese Salmon is a Senior majoring in Communications and Media Arts. Hoping to pursue a career in social media strategics and/or to land an editorial/writing position for an online publication. Her list of hobbies are endless since she takes interest in so many things. Lynese adores the arts, whether it's visual, performing, digital, etc. She is an outgoing individual with a willingness to learn. Lynese believes the possibilities are endless for everyone so why should you limit yourself. Loves to meet new people and learn more about different identities. Lynese is an open book so she's pretty approachable. All in all, Lynese is a creative personality that likes to think outside the box.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.