This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Billie Eilish just left the 2020 Grammys with five awards after being nominated for six. The eighteen-year-old also performed at the 2020 Oscars for the Oscars in Memoriam tribute to those who have passed away in the past year. She is now on her world tour which sold out within days of sales opening. But what lead up to all of this success? Let’s take a look back at her amazing and talented career and story of the pop singer that we all love and want to be friends with!

Billie was born in Los Angeles and was homeschooled with her brother Finneas all of her life by their mother. Her parents emphasized their kids taking a more creative approach to learning and focusing on what they are passionate about. (We love that!) Billie always had a passion for songwriting and singing. 

She first gained major attention in 2016 when she put her song “Ocean Eyes” on SoundCloud. “Ocean Eyes” was written and produced by her brother and the two continue to write and produce music together today. The song instantly gained attention and gained itself a seat on top charts. She then released “six feet under”, which gave her even more attention, and eventually continued onto to release her first EP. Her EP “don’t smile at me” was released in 2017. On March 29, 2019, she released her first album album “WHEN WE FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?”. The album became wildly successful, going on to win a Grammy for best pop vocal album. 

Her song “bad guy” was so popular that she remixed it with none other than Justin Bieber, who Billie used to be head over heels in love with (weren’t we all?). She met Bieber at Coachella and the two have been friends ever since and are always supporting each other. She has also collaborated with other top artists like Khalid and Vince Staples (totally not jealous or anything).

Billie is not your traditional pop artist. Besides being extremely young, she is mature for her age and has an infectious personality. She is very true to herself and that’s what her fan base loves about her. She always puts her fans first and writes music that her audience can feel connected to. Her music touches on large issues like mental health, heartache and the negative realities of fame. Because she is so open and honest in her music, her fans feel a connection to her and can understand her struggles. 

Her singing voice is very unique for the pop world. She has a very soft voice that makes her music so unique and beautiful. Her music videos show extremely unusual situations that Billie does herself. For example, in “when the party’s over” she drinks a large glass of a black liquid that she then begins to have flow from her eyes. 

On top of her absolutely beautiful and unique singing voice, Billie has a unique sense of style that we can’t get enough of. Billie is a huge fan of oversized clothes and bright colors that make her stand out on stage and in a large crowd. One of her favorite designers is Gucci, who she wore head to toe to at the Grammys alongside Finneas. 

Billie is also extremely close to her family. Her brother and parents go on tour with her and always go to interviews with her. She says her family are her “best friends” and she can’t imagine being famous without having them with her. 

We’re all obviously obsessed with Billie Eilish and can’t wait to see her continue to grow as an artist and as a young woman. She is an inspiration to so many people around the world and has become a new voice for our generation. She always reminds us to work on what we are passionate about and to always be ourselves no matter who is watching.

Tara Byrne

Montclair '21

Tara is 22 years old and a senior at Montclair State majoring in fashion studies with a minor in business. She loves keeping up with pop culture and catching up on her Youtube subscriptions. Tara mostly writes fashion, beauty, and lifestyle pieces for Her Campus. She is the current President and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Montclair. In addition, she is a Co-Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Montclair.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.