This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Being alone in a lot of ways is becoming a new normal for most. I know for myself, I started quarantine at school with my roommates. It was a great time; until the semester came to an end. Whether your home with your family; or alone on campus. You can still gain a new friend in yourself.

A lot of times on YouTube specifically, influencers have videos centered around the idea of “glowing-up” during or after a big event. The current big event right now, as you can guess, is quarantine. During these videos, girls get their hair done, nails done and sometimes buy a new outfit. But that is not the type of “glow-up” I want you all to have after reading this. I want you all to glow from within and learn that you are, and will always be, your first best friend. But here are also some ways on how to start the process that I personally have taken on to know that they truly do help. 

One of the first things I did, in order to try to get my life together, was to create a routine. Creating a routine is something that is very important if you have other things in your life that are on a schedule. Such as class; if you have classes during the week you may find it very helpful to start a schedule for when to wake and sleep. Or if you’re me; I schedule when to eat. Now, when saying a “routine” you may feel that it is a bit too structured for your life. But another way of creating a schedule for yourself that is a bit more relaxed for your day to day life is to add alarms. Placing alarms on different things in your day is a great way to just gauge how often you are being productive or not being productive.

In addition to alarms, another thing that is very important is just to make time for yourself. Taking time out of your day, no matter how long. It is very beneficial to create time for yourself. As well as, a space that you feel comfortable in and are most at peace no matter if it is in your home, dorm, or a public location. While in a space you made time for yourself, it is also great to reflect on any goals you have for the day or the things that you want to do that week. With that being said, a lot of people feel that they have nothing to do while staying at home all day. But, there is always something to do if you want to. Such as learning how to make a new meal for you or your family. And starting a new book. For me personally, finding something to fill my days really helped boost my mood as well as give me a goal to work towards that is able to make you feel gratification from completing that goal.

Lastly, look to yourself for fulfillment rather than friends. At the beginning of stay at home orders,  I was still on campus; and stayed there until mid-July. Therefore, I was still surrounded by all of my roommates who allowed me to not feel the real impact of isolation. But once I was home where I live with just my sister and dog, it was a major adjustment, to say the least. One thing I wanted to focus on while having this great amount of “alone time” was to focus on my mental and physical health. Which is something I greatly recommend for each one of you. Telling yourself “you’re beautiful” every day or anything positive about yourself is something that can greatly boost your mood. But, also to move around and exercise. Exercising is proven to help boost your mood from the endorphins that are released. However, when treating your body well; you can also physically feel better as well.  

Overall, finding positive ways to better yourself as a person will create ways to love yourself even more. But, becoming “friends” with yourself is not an easy thing to do or a fast thing to do. But, it can be done as long as you take time to focus on yourself as a whole. While also taking time to just remember that these are not the easiest times in your life and the world as a whole. But, there are still things to be grateful and thankful for. 

Angelisa is a fourth-year fashion studies student at Montclair State University. Also, a founding member of the Theta Phi Alpha sorority; Delta Lambda chapter. When She is not writing or sewing; you can find her researching the latest fashion trends, and keeping up with the latest in pop culture. All while educating herself and others on new skills and topics; with an iced coffee in hand of course.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.