Award-Winning Double Major: Luis Torres

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Luis Torres

Year: Junior

Age: 23

Major: Psychology and Athletic Training (Double Major)

Hometown: Ridgefield Park, New Jersey

Clubs: Health Promotion, Campus Rec, Athletic Training Student Club

HCM: What’s your favorite thing about Montclair as a school?

Definitely how diverse it is, in terms of the student population and the different fields of study that they offer. That same diversity is awesome because it shows up in the buildings that they’re constantly building. Every year I’ve been here there’s been something new at Montclair and that’s always nice to see.

HCM: What made you choose your major?

Before I came here I was at a community college, and while there I studied exercise science and I did a lot of volunteering as an EMT. By doing that, I learned what I didn’t want to do with my life, and it gave me a better understanding of some of the things I would be interested in such as being an athletic trainer or being a counselor.

HCM: What’s has been a favorite class you’ve taken?

In general – this logic class I took at my community college. The professor was nuts, just ridiculous. He was so unorthodox in how he taught things it made it a really interesting class to take.

Here at Montclair, I would say probably my Clinic 1 class because, as frustrating as it was, that’s where we learn all the taping methods of athletic training. It’s easy now when back then it was so frustrating.

HCM: What has been your proudest moment in college so far?

Last semester, two things happened. At the Rec, I’m one of the building managers there (the facility attendants) and one of the kids came up to and said you know what, I wish you were my brother. Also, winning an award during the holiday banquet was really nice because your peers vote on that, and it’s nice to see that support from people who are constantly around you.

HCM: What’s your favorite outfit to wear?

Jeans and a hoodie.

HCM: Do you have a favorite quote?

“All can see, but few can feel” – Machiavelli

HCM: If you could pick anyone to meet and have lunch with, alive or dead, who would it be?

Barack Obama, that’d be pretty cool.

HCM: Who do you look up to?

My older sister – she was the first one within our household to leave and my parents are really old school, so they took it hard when she left. She’s the smartest person I know. I have a tattoo dedicated to her. She’s also one of the hardest working people I know, without a doubt.

HCM: If you could drop everything and go anywhere in the world right now, where would it be?

San Francisco, just something about the way it looks from all the pictures I’ve seen. It’s something I’d kind of just like to live in.

HCM: What do you hope to do when you graduate?

After I graduate, ideally I want to do something very very specific. I would like to have a graduate assistantship that lets me be an athletic trainer for club sports while letting me pursue any degree that I want, either in school counseling or mental health counseling. I’d like to get a doctorate in sports psychology, to teach, to write, to speak, all along the way.

HCM: Any advice for Her Campus readers?

I would say, don’t be afraid to try things that are out of your comfort zone. Everything I’ve done up until now, some of the best lessons I learned were from doing things I didn’t want to do.

Lightning Round!

Favorite Song: “She WIll Be Loved’ – Maroon 5

TV Show: Breaking Bad

Movie: Last House on the Left

Book: Oh, All the Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss

Band/Artist: The Black Keys

Food: Hawaiian Pizza

Beverage: Hazelnut Coffee

Place to Be: On a beach

Color: Red

Celebrity Crush: Zoe Saldana

Hidden Talent: Motivational Speaking

Ciarra is a senior fashion student with a penchant for style and technology. She can never say no to a cup of tea and a good book. In her spare time, she enjoys cupcakes, writing, and 3D printing. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @lefthvnded
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.