As you may know, there are multiple types of leaders. I’m sure you have come across a leader who has a compelling story, easily connects with their followers, and makes everyone feel connected in some way. We often feel this way about someone when they are an authentic leader. Authentic leadership is described as real, genuine, and honest. This type of leadership is not just a skill, but it is acquired from your own life experiences. Authentic leaders are self-aware, transparent, and internalize moral perspectives.
Here are five tips that will help you apply authentic leadership to your everyday campus life:
1. Be yourself. The most important part of being an authentic leader is the word authentic! No one can be you. What makes you unique is your authenticity and that is what will make you stand out.
2. Use your pitfalls. We often don’t talk about our failures and we try to preserve ourselves as the individual that has it all together. Those pitfalls you’ve experienced make you who you are. Once again they make you unique.
3. Mask off. Be transparent about your intentions and expectations. No one can read your mind, therefore, you should put your cards on the table.
4. Insight. Your personal insight is important. You may share one idea or life hack and it may change the entire game.
5. Be open. Honesty is the best policy! People trust easily when they know that you have been open and honest with them. You can’t be an effective leader if you are not trustworthy.