This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

My first question when meeting someone’s new boyfriend or girlfriend is always “So, how did you guys meet?”It’s really interesting to learn when and how two people fell in love.  If you’re a sucker for tear-jerking “how we met” stories like I am, here are some that will make you reach for a tissue, smile and bring on ALL the feels. 

Mark and Anna 

“My boyfriend and I met my sophomore year of high school, his senior year. We met in the most 21st century way. He messaged me on Instagram because we had mutual friends. A few weeks of talking went by and we went on our first date. Funny story, we both showed up to two completely different movie theaters LOL. It has been almost 5 years since our first date, we have had our ups and downs, and have gone through many seasons of life since then but I could not be happier to have fallen in love with my best friend.” 

Camyron and Adam

“Adam and I met September of 2019 at a party his fraternity was hosting. I was freshly single and was looking to have some fun with my girls. When we got to the party, we were immediately invited to play a game of beer pong with some of the brothers, Adam included. We first paired up against the boys, tied and went into overtime. I was relentlessly teasing Adam the entire first round, and for some reason, he thought I was being funny. The guys obviously won, but soon after they asked for a second round. This time, regardless of my trash talking, Adam had approached me asking if we could pair up together for the next match! We won the game together and decided that he and I made a great team. But sadly, I was eventually swooped away with the girls. We had met another guy there, (who I later found out was playing wingman) and exchanged Snapchats with him. The following morning, his wingman and I started to get to know each other, and he was constantly inviting me to hang out with him and Adam. I, unfortunately, was very busy during this time, so we were never able to work out a time to meet up. I figured that was the end of it, and I’d never get to see the cute beer pong boy ever again. A month later, I was on Tinder, and there he was! Adam right there on my tiny phone screen. I immediately swiped and matched with him. We’d been talking since then, and made plans for not one, not two, but three dates in advance. All before we had met in person again. We spoke on the phone every single day until we had our first date. It went so well we kept planning more dates in the future. That December, Adam had confessed his feelings for me. Unfortunately, I was hesitant (don’t worry, I’m yelling at myself too!) to say yes, so I asked for more time. Finally, in the month of February, I’d invited Adam to be my date to a sorority formal I was going to. That night I had FINALLY told him how I felt and decided that we would be an official couple, but celebrate in December since that was when we truly began to act like one. He and I have been in love since, and I don’t ever see myself falling out of it any time soon.”

Adam and Camyron
Photo by Camyron Chauffe

Chloe and Dave

“The way I met my boyfriend is kind of funny! We met on bumble and he was my first match after getting out of a cruddy long-term relationship. Our first date was great! We got burritos, coffee and went to a park. However, on our first date, we stayed at the park too long and I almost got towed because my registration was expired. But I begged enough and the cop called off the tow, so that’s our traumatizing backstory lol” 

Julia and Kyle 

“We met in middle school math class and instantly became best friends. He actually was the reason I got my first detention for talking too much to each other! Once we got to high school we started dating at 16 and have been together ever since and are celebrating our 5 year anniversary this month! The best feeling in the world is dating someone you can also call your best friend and while we both go to different colleges, we’ve learned distance can be challenging, but love is worth it!”

Julia and Kyle
Photo by Julia Higgins

Anonymous 

So we actually met on Bumble in Mid February (this year!)

I never had any hope of meeting someone through online dating because I’ve been on the apps since 2019 and have swiped through countless guys and never came across someone who I’d genuinely see a future with. We have a lot in common in regards to goals, how we think entrepreneurial, and have high energy. He makes me really happy and I’m always constantly laughing! I can always be my true self with him and say the wildest things!

Giselle and Chris

“My boyfriend Chris and I met at my old job, we worked together for about a year and I made the first move!  It sounds cliche, but he didn’t seem like other guys and wasn’t super clingy at all. I feel like, in a way, this made me more attracted to him so we started hanging out and we instantly connected! I always say shoot the first shot hahaha it might work in your favor!” 

Couple
Original photo by Giselle Huasipoma

Sarah and Elijah

“We met through my other boyfriend at the time. They were friends. My ex was very abusive and needed help to get out of it. He was there for me and we hung out a lot after and then fell in love. The end.” 

Anna Alvarez is an Undergrad at Montclair State University, majoring in Family and Human Sciences. She loves curling up with a good book, traveling to new places, and watching gilmore girls aspiring to be her own version of Lorelai Gilmore.