jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Asking for a Friend — Moving out of the Friendzone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

“Asking for a friend” is a popular phrase when we’re asking the hardest questions. While still asking a question, you claim to be asking for a friend, in actuality you are asking for yourself. This is becoming more and more popular over the years and is used in some serious and not so serious situations that people face every day. This segment is meant for Montclair State Collegiettes who all have had to “ask for a friend.”

Asking for a Friend: “Hi, I have been having an issue with a friend. We have become very close and I believe we could actually be more than friends. I guess my question is how do you know if someone is the one for you?”

Having strong feelings for someone can be difficult especially when you are not sure if he or she is “the one.” So, let’s take a minute, relax and breathe. In order to know if someone is “the one” you first have to get everything off your checklist. It doesn’t have to be a physical checklist, but it can be a mental one. For my checklist I search for simple things such as personality. If that special someone’s personality can catch your attention that’s a great start.

Next would be knowing that both of you have a safe space, a special security. What I mean is being able to come to one another in a time of need, reassuring that both of you are easy to talk, and able to secure one another, showing that you are safe. Having a good bond is also important, Collegiette. You and your special friend may not have a lot in common and that’s okay, but if you are able to come to a compromise with any event or plans you may have in the future that is amazing.

Finally, accept each other’s flaws. It shouldn’t matter if your special friend has an annoying way of eating, bad at responding to messages or has questionable fashion sense; it’s up to both of you to look past that. See each other for who you really are and recognize you have an amazing and strong person.

Email askingforafriendhcm@gmail.com, for any advice you may need. 

“Asking for a Friend” is always here to help.Your confidentiality is very important to us, so in every email and article posted you will always remain anonymous.

Tatiana Ricks

Montclair '21

My name is Tatiana Ricks I was born and raised in Philadelphia. I enjoy learning from others and researching the latest trends, I admire self-love, books, and healing myself spiritually.