tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

Asking for a Friend — Maintaining a Friendship While You’re at Different Schools

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

“Asking for a friend” is a popular phrase when we’re asking the hardest questions. While still asking a question you claim to be asking for a friend, in actuality you are asking for yourself. This is becoming more and more popular over the years and is used in some serious and not so serious situations that people face everyday. This segment is meant for Montclair State Collegiettes who all have had to “ask for a friend.”

Asking for a Friend: “Hi there! Lately I’ve been feeling distant from my friend because we go to different schools in different states. Our schedules are completely different making it hard for us to catch each other at a good time. Do you have any advice for me to be able to try to fix the relationship?”

Friendship is an important factor in everyone’s life, Collegiette, especially a long lasting one. Friendships start from when you were children and grow and bloom into an amazing and irreplaceable bond. I for one have had trouble trying to maintain my existing friendships with both of my best friends as I opened a new chapter in my life by attending college in another state.

To start off my friends and I were inseparable, we went to the same schools and lived in the same area, we even planned our college goals together. Unfortunately, our college plans did not work out too well and some of us had to attend someplace else. Freshman year started off very well, we talked on the phone almost everyday and during our breaks, we hung out almost everyday. But as time went on, we all got wrapped up with school programs, classes, work and new friends that we began to slowly forget the ones who were down for us since the beginning of time.

Collegiette, I get the feeling and here are some helpful tips to try and keep that bond so it will never break.

1. Organize your schedule

From time to time our schedules can get a little crazy and we may or may not be able to hang with our friends on a certain day. It’s up to you and your gal pals to come together and organize your daily schedule. Invest in a planner collegiette, I know I have and it is wonderful, my life is less messy. With my planner  I have certain days only dedicated for me and my best friends.

2. Call and Text

This is the time for you and your friends to be “Chatty Cathy’s.” Call one another, no excuses. Within this day and age everything and everyone is on our phones. Don’t get upset if one friend doesn’t text back fast enough and never play “The phone works both ways” trick. If you value your friendship it shouldn’t matter who initiates the conversation first as long as you’re still able to have one with your best friend. Even if it is a text to just check up on her/him, make that text message constant. Some of our friends could really be going through a lot and you could be that person to make their day just a little better.

3. Schedule Visits

I always say if there’s a will there’s a way. Always try to visit your out of state friends. If you’re are able to afford it, then definitely travel to your friend by bus, train or plane. You don’t always have to visit their destination either, you can schedule friend dates by meeting halfway. Maybe book reservations at a diner someplace where both of you are able to meet. But most importantly and especially during your holiday breaks always try and meet up with your friends when you’re home.

With these tips, Collegiette I’m sure you’re able to fix that bond you and your friend have. I use these steps daily and the friendship I have with my girls has blossomed and have grown even stronger. Of course with our different career and life choices, timing can be a bit difficult but we all make a way, and we always make a way for the ones we love.

Email askingforafriendhcm@gmail.com, for any advice you may need.

“Asking for a Friend” is always here to help. Your confidentiality is very important to us, so in every email and article posted you will always remain anonymous.

Tatiana Ricks

Montclair '21

My name is Tatiana Ricks I was born and raised in Philadelphia. I enjoy learning from others and researching the latest trends, I admire self-love, books, and healing myself spiritually.