Style > Beauty

Amazing Skincare Products for Oily & Acne Prone Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

There’s nothing more annoying than the need to constantly blot your face! Whenever I blot it’s like blotting the grease off a slice of pizza, and that’s no fun. If this resonates with you too, then have no fear! I’ve got you covered with these amazing products! As someone who’s had oily and acne prone skin from an early age, I’ve been borderline obsessed with skincare for many years. I’ve experimented with tons of products and I can confidently say that these ones are nothing short of magical.

Bioré Deep Pore Charcoal Cleanser

I’ve been using this cleanser since I was in high school and I still love it! Charcoal is the key ingredient and is known for its ability to absorb excess oils and remove impurities, like dirt and pollutants, from the pores. I’ve also been loving the Bioré Charcoal Acne Clearing Cleanser, which is great for acne as it contains salicylic acid to help fight breakouts. I’m a firm believer in spending less money on cleansers and splurging on serums and masks. This cleanser is so cheap and can be found in most drugstores, grocery stores and ULTA. Bonus points: these cleansers are vegan, cruelty-free and paraben-free!

Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner

I can always rely on this toner, especially if I’m in a hurry. The Thayers Rose Petal toner has a spray bottle option which makes toning a super quick step in my skincare routine with just a few spritzes! Key ingredients such as witch hazel, rosewater and aloe vera provide antibacterial, moisturizing and pH balancing benefits to the skin and it’s alcohol free! This toner is very gentle and leaves the skin feeling refreshed, not greasy or heavy. It can be found in most drugstores, Target and ULTA.

Glossier The Solution

Glossier’s The Solution has recently become one of my all-time favorite skincare products! I started using it over the summer to help with my acne and skin texture, and WOW. Seriously, my face is baby smooth. The Solution is essentially a toner, but the magic comes from its 10% blend of AHA (glycolic acid & lactic acid), BHA (salicylic acid) and PHA (gluconolactone) which are chemical exfoliators. They work to reduce blemishes, redness and dark spots, unclog pores, remove dead skin cells and moisturize. It also contains an anti-stress complex made up of aloe, glycerin and niacinamide that soothes, hydrates and calms the skin. Plus, it’s cruelty-free, vegan, hypoallergenic, paraben-free and suitable for all skin types! A product from the gods!

Lush Vanishing Cream

Another holy-grail product is the Vanishing Cream from Lush. This moisturizer is specifically marketing to those of us with oily, acne prone skin. I’ve been using this product on and off for years (it’s a bit pricey) but it’s always been a favorite. The Vanishing Cream is super lightweight with its mixture of rose water and lavender honey water. Hydrating shea butter allows for nice absorption into the skin while witch hazel fights breakouts. Although this moisturizer is packed with essential oils it never leaves my skin feeling greasy or oily. So, I get all the moisture without the dreaded grease! It’s, of course, cruelty-free!

Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Mask

This popular and very affordable mask is honestly amazing! It’s made out of a single ingredient – 100% calcium bentonite clay – and is recommended to be mixed with apple cider vinegar. When wearing this face mask you can actually feel the clay sucking the impurities from your skin. This mask is known for drying very tightly and causing a pulsating sensation on your face. Some like and some dislike the feeling, but it’s agreed upon that it works wonders for the skin. It does an amazing job at clearing acne, unclogging pores and absorbing oil and can even be used on the body! I buy it off of Amazon, but it can be found at Target as well.

Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask

Charcoal and clay are clearly favorites among those of us with oily and acne prone skin! The Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask uses charcoal derived from bamboo along with white china clay to draw out dirt and toxins from deep in the pores. It always helps with any blemishes I may have and absorbs excess oil. I love using this mask as a spot treatment as well if I want to focus on a specific blemish or area of my face. This can be found at ULTA, Sephora and any Origins store. 

GlamGlow SuperMud Clearing Treatment Mask

Lastly, (and most expensively) we have the famous GlamGlow SuperMud! I know this is so out of most of our price ranges, but I just had to include this because it is SO GOOD. I’ve only bought this two or three times within the last few years due to price, but it’s truly magical. It contains Activated-X Charcoal which has amplified absorption abilities, Super Six Acid Blend that consists of several AHAs and BHAs that work collectively to unclog pores and K-17 Clay which targets excess sebum oils. My favorite part is that you can visibly witness the mask working! As it dries, little dots appear around your pores that show what it’s drawing out of your skin. My skin looks and feels brand new every time I use this mask. I buy mine at Sephora!

Kayla is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in Communication and Media Arts. She is a beauty and fashion fanatic with hopes of working in the Beauty Industry after college. She has a knack for fine arts, enjoys writing, and is a dedicated yogi.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.