7 YA Novels You Should Read During Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As someone who considers themselves an avid reader, it is in my opinion that there is no other genre out there like Young Adult Fiction. The stories of young teens going through the same struggles that we go through (give or take a few sci-fi novels) are ones that never get old. While it was hard to just pick a few books to include on this list, these are a handful of novels out there (besides Harry Potter and Twilight) that can help open the door to the wonderful world of YA, and help pass the time during your winter break! Check them out!

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

Sequels: Rules of Attraction, Chain Reaction

He’s a gangster from the south side of town, she’s the head cheerleader from the north. The love story between Brittney Ellis and Alex Fuentes is your modern day Romeo and Juliet—the classic love story that everyone loves, whether or not they admit it. Perfect Chemistry is the ultimate guilty pleasure novel—you’ll get sucked into the classic teenager-love drama, with a few laughs and tears along the way.

Also By This Author: Leaving Paradise, Return to Paradise

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

Sequels: It’s Not Summer Without You, We’ll Always Have Summer

Taking place during the summer of her 16th year, Belly Conklin is a character that practically every girl can relate to. Throughout the book, as well as the rest of the series, we read along as Belly goes through the challenges we all face during our teen years—going from little girl to young woman, experiencing our first love and first heartbreak, and needing to grow up when at times we don’t feel quite ready.

Also By This Author: To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, P.S. I Still Love You

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Companion: Carry On

As collegiettes that are experiencing being on our own for the first time, there is no other book out there that understands these struggles than Fangirl. The book follows college freshman Cather “Cath” Avery, who deals with being away from her father, who struggles with his own mental illness, her twin sister, Wren, wanting to separate herself from her Cath, and struggles with social anxiety, which causes her to have trouble venturing out on her own in college. With her fanfiction by her side, Cath is a character that we can all find ourselves in, especially for those of us that deal with forms of social and non-social anxiety disorders. It’s a story that helps you to realize that you are not the only one who struggles, and that is okay.

Also By This Author: Eleanor & Park

The Outsiders by S.E Hinton

While this is one of the most well-known books out there, it is the book you probably skipped reading in middle school and should definitely go back and read. The movie does have its’ fair share of Hollywood hotties from the 80’s, but there’s nothing like reading Ponyboy’s thoughts as they come to him. You see the world through the eyes of someone who has been given a rough deal in life and it is an eye opener. This is a coming of age tale that you should be able to read in no time.

Also By This Author: That Was Then, This Is Now

13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Since its release in 2007, 13 Reasons Why has been on the top of the lists for Young Adult novels. Clay Jenson is our guide in the book as he listens to 13 tapes left behind by Hannah Baker, who two weeks prior, committed suicide. Those 13 tapes list the reasons she ended up taking her own life and unveil hidden secrets of Clay and Hannah’s fellow classmates. This is not your average love story. The book is a gripping story that not only makes it hard to put the it down, but also leaves you taking a look at your own life.

Also By This Author: The Future of Us (Co-Written With Carolyn Mackler)

Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz

Sequels: Deadly Little Lies, Deadly Little Games

This book is the perfect combination of love, mystery, paranormal and witty teen comic relief. And with four other books in the series, you have plenty to read about Camelia Hammond and her on and off romance with the mysterious Ben Carter, while in the process finding out that Camelia is just as mysterious.

Also By This Author: Blue Is For Nightmares

Dead End by Jason Myers

If you read this book, I suggest you do so with caution. This book and the rest of Jason Myers’ are classified as Young Adult, yet they are better suited for the older YA reader. While the subject content and writing can be graphic, it also provides the story with many shocking moments and twists that you won’t believe, thus making it a hard to put down book. You become attached to the main characters, Dru and Gina, and what becomes of their fates.

Also By This Author: Run the Game, Exit Here

Happy Reading Collegiettes xoxo

Junior at Montclair State University who plans on majoring in English. Known for being stressed, well dressed, and boyband obsessed.