This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Gratitude is something I believe you should practice on a daily basis. When you’re going through the same motions every day or in a really low period, that’s when it’s especially beneficial (and unfortunately hard) to list ways you’re blessed.

But even with how much I value gratitude, I know how difficult it can be to do it on a daily basis. Luckily, with Thanksgiving around the corner, I’m reminded to mindfully return to it. Bible verses are always a big boost in helping shift my mindset in an instant. Here are some that get me in the Thanksgiving spirit:

1. 1 Corinthians 12:4

“There are different kinds of gifts, but the same spirit distributes them.”

1. Psalm 107:8-9

“Let them give thanks to the Lord for His unfailing love and His wonderful deeds for mankind, for He satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry for good things.”

1. Hebrews 13:15

“Through Him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge His name.”

1. Philippians 4:6-7

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

1. Colossians 2:7

“Rooted and built up in Him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.”

1. Psalms 28:7

“The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and He helps me. My heart leaps for joy and with my song I praise Him.”

1. Philippians 11:4-12

“I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.”
The last quote is an accurate representation of what I hope true, genuine gratitude will do for me one day, so that whether I’m in a high high or a low low, I still feel just as blessed as I know I am.

Megan Lim

Montclair '23

Megan is currently a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in Journalism and minoring in Social Work. Not only does she aspire to be the best writer she can possibly be, but she hopes to be the best version of herself there is at all! Whether that means getting good grades, helping those around her, getting involved, working out, or letting herself binge-watch movies - she wants to do it all. Anything that has to do with self-growth, she's doing it!