6 Reasons You’re Crazy for Not Seeing ‘Crazy Rich Asians’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

First of all, if you haven’t even heard of “Crazy Rich Asians,” you must be living under a rock! The movie follows the story of Rachel Chu and her boyfriend Nick Young, who invites Rachel to take a trip to Singapore during spring break with the intention of proposing. What she thought was going to be a relaxing vacation and a chance to meet Nick’s parents actually ends up revealing his real world, a world worth billions. I did go to the movies twice to watch the movie, and yes, I sobbed both times.

1. Not your typical romcom​

If you love a good romcom like me, then you’re going to swoon over “Crazy Rich Asians.” Throughout the entire movie, whenever Rachel and Nick were alone, I was literally on the edge of my seat wondering: Is this when he proposes?

They are literal goals. They support each other, have each other’s backs, and care so deeply about each other it hurts! However, Nick and Rachel also must overcome great obstacles to be with each other like Nick’s controlling mother, his dealing in the family business, and catty girls who want to chase Rachel out of Singapore. Every obstacle they defeat just makes us root for them even more.

2. The Fashion

Fashion plays an important part, and if you have a love for high end clothing, then this is the movie for you! The movie has high end designers from Ralph Lauren to Giamba pieces make appearances. Rachel’s silver mesh Michael Kors dress is enough of a reason to watch! I can guarantee you’ll be googling every outfit from each scene to figure out where you can get your hands on it!

Reason 3. Awkwafina​

Peik Lin, played by Awkwafina, is a reason all on her own. Being Rachel’s trusty bestie, when all hell breaks loose she is certainly memorable and one of my favorite characters in the movie. She definitely gives the trusty sidekick a brand new face, being supportive, helpful, and incredibly witty. Sometimes I wondered was she Rachel’s sidekick or was Rachel hers?  Not to mention Peik Lin is hilarious and relatable, keeping a walk of shame dress in her car in case of emergency.

4. The Guys

What’s even more swoon worthy than Rachel and Nick’s love story are the gorgeous gods that play Nick Young and Colin Khoo. If you didn’t instantly fall in love with Henry Golding (Nick) or Chris Pang (Colin), then you are not human! Sorry Leonardo, you’ve been replaced.

5. Strong Female Characters

The movie also has a bunch of strong female characters, each dealing with their own problems. Astrid Leong is a beautiful charitable and dutiful wife dealing with her cheating husband, finding *spoiler* the strength to kick that man out. Nick’s mother deals with the life of never being good enough for her mother in law. Meanwhile, Rachel is a fighter, standing strong and tall against Nick’s mother’s disapproval and Nick’s catty ex.      

6. The Important Message

“Crazy Rich Asians” is the first major motion picture film in over 25 years to feature an all Asian and Asian American cast. It was deemed the best romcom debut since 2015. Hollywood often shy’s away from diverse representation. So, this movie doesn’t just tell a cute story, but it also holds a special place in my heart as well as other Asian Americans who deserve representation.

Maria Spano

Montclair '22

Maria Spano is a freshmen at Montclair State University and is majoring in filmmaking. She loves anything pastel, going thrifting in NYC, and of course writing! Her special skills include: making a killer bowl of ramen and never missing an episode of Jane the Virgin.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.