Style

5 Ways to Subtly Step up Your Look for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Autumn, a season that brings about new opportunities, especially opportunities to reinvent your look! This transitional season requires us to bundle up a little more. The layered look can look a little repetitive though, and your fashion choices shouldn’t just consist of layering every time falls comes around. Read on to see how you can incorporate new styles to reinvent your look for fall.

1. Treat yourself

Now, maybe you’re not like me, but I hadn’t ever gotten a manicure professionally done before until my birthday a few weeks back. I woke up that Saturday morning and I said, “Hey, you know what! I want to treat myself!” I spontaneously made this decision, but nothing beats the simple act of getting up and doing something for yourself!

You need to treat yourself more than you think. You work hard throughout the week, and by the end of the week, you can go out with friends one night, or even stay in watching movies. From getting your nails done, to having company in your humble abode, to even having some alone time to put on a sheet mask while crying watching the finale of Friends for the 78th time – it’s okay, let’s hope you feel relieved in the end.

2. Try getting a new piercing

This can be a hit or a miss, honestly, but at least it’ll help you get out of your comfort zone. A piercing usually ranges from being very subtle to very noticeable; someone probably won’t see that you got a cartilage piercing, but people will notice if you get a septum piercing. I won’t tell you what to get, because that depends on your style, but this can be a push in the right direction!

Unlike tattoos, some piercings are temporary and if you don’t like it after fall or within the year, you can always take it out and the pierced hole will sometimes heal. Getting a new piercing will elevate your look by its subtlety, and can change your attitude on how you want to dress and show it off!

3. You’ve always had a side part, how about going for a middle one?

Recently, I’ve realized that it’s easier to pull together any outfit because I have been changing my hair part about every 2 weeks. Going from one side part to the other side, helps you to feel different about your looks when you look in the mirror. You wouldn’t have thought once you change your part, you prefer a different profile to be shown when you pose for pictures. Hopefully, changing your part more frequently will help in becoming more confident in your physical being and experiment in trying more fresh looks for fall.

4. New makeup launches are coming your way!

There are always new makeup products coming out from mainstream and indie brands. As of recently, there have new launches for eye palettes because customers favoring warm tones especially for their fall looks. If you usually go for a smokey eye, some of these looks require three to four shadows to get the full effect. If this is normally your routine, change it up by using only one color or an accent color, which would make that color pop and make your outfit look unique and different. You can finish this look off by putting on bold eyeliner, or a sparkly eye shadow in the inner corner to open your eyes. Again, fall brings the opportunities to try different things so embrace them and see what fits best for you!

5. It’s not time to shop again – it’s time for a style swap

Style swaps are the best thing anyone in college can do – because it’s free! From swapping with your roommates to your friends, try to find pieces that you wouldn’t usually wear. If it is appropriate for fall, then why not try it? Your friend’s style might consist of all jeans and different types of jackets, while yours are 10 different black sweatpants. Start out by planning out how her normal day outfit would look on you for a day or two, and see if you like the styles. This part especially requires some experimentation, because above all else – comfort is key!

These steps are here for some encouragement for you to change some things you might be tired of doing, and need something to elevate your appearance. Comfort is important, as well as feeling good in what you wear and do, but don’t hold back in trying something new!

Harmeen is a student at Montclair State University, New Jersey and is majoring in Business Administration with a Concentration in Marketing. Of course, besides being a Marketing student, she's interested in fashion and lifestyle, and motivated to write unique pieces for her interests.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.