5 Things to Try This Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.
December is a month filled with cheer, holiday spirit and stressing over finals. The next few weeks prove to be a tough time for us college students and we tend to forget to take time for ourselves; here are five things you absolutely need to try this month which will relax you before, during, and after finals week.

1. Cold weather can wreak havoc on your skin; using a sugar scrub is a great way to get rid of all that dead skin and can leave your skin silky smooth and moisturized.

Bri’s recommendation: Bath and Body Works Golden Sugar Scrub; it comes in a ton of different scents and is very soothing!

2. Whenever I’m studying for a big exam or writing a paper, I love turning on my Pandora and listening to new music; it calms me down and helps me work more efficiently.

Bri’s Recommendation: Here are some of my favorite Pandora Stations that may spark your interest! Haim, Sufjan Stevens, Alexi Murdoch, Relaxation and Smooth Jazz (the Christmas station is pretty great too!)

3. When it’s frigid outside, I love getting cozy with a nice hot drink. Coffee is a must when it comes to all-nighters and cram sessions, but this year, try and mix it up with some different flavors; you may just find your new favorite drink.

Bri’s Recommendation: Without fail, I always get a regular coffee but recently, I tried the Red Velvet Coffee at Dunkin Donuts and fell in love! Now I get all of my drinks with a flavor. If red velvet isn’t your style, try out caramel or almond.

4. I don’t know about you but whenever I’m feeling stressed and just need a break, I paint my nails. It calms me down and helps me feel a bit better about myself when I feel like a stressed out mess!

Bri’s Recommendation: During the winter months, I prefer to paint my nails in a darker color such as Park Ave from NYC. This grey color goes with almost anything I wear and lasts awhile on my nails. Pair it with a fun sparkly polish this month, like Glass Slipper by Sally Hansen.

5. If making time to go to the rec center during a normal week is tough, just imagine trying to make time during finals. Working out is a great stress reliever and even though you may not have a few hours to get a full work out in, all you need is an hour for an exercise class.

Bri’s Recommendation: The rec center on campus has tons of great Group X class such as Yoga, Zumba, Cycling, Body Combat, and much more; my personal favorite is yoga, it’s a great work out but it also calms you down which is perfect for any student. It may not sound too appealing when you’ve got so much going on, but you’ll be thankful you went!

I hope I’ve given you some great new things to try this month, good luck with finals and Happy Holidays!
Bri Capik

Montclair

Hi, my name's Bri, I'm currently a Junior Communications Studies major and English minor at Montclair State University. I love dance, reading, crocheting, coffee, anything Disney, and of course, writing for Her Campus!