photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

5 Simple Ways to Start Living More Sustainably

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

First off, climate change is real and there is no denying that our precious mother earth is in trouble and needs help. As someone who’s been environmentally conscious from a very young age, I feel a sense of moral obligation to do anything I can to help this planet. I believe it is everyone’s job to take steps, big or small, to keep it from reaching the point of no return; which we are dangerously close to. That being said, here are 5 ways you can start living more sustainably and make a real difference to save the earth.

SAY NO TO PLASTIC

There are so many alternatives to using plastic. Instead of having cashiers put your clothes or groceries in plastic bags that will only pile up and get thrown away in your house, stock up on reusable bags and use those when you shop. Instead of wasting money on multiple plastic water bottles, use one that you can refill and will keep your water cool. Channel your inner VSCO girl and have a metal straw on you that you can use as opposed to plastic ones. 

DONATE, SELL, OR DIY YOUR CLOTHES

In 2015, leather and textiles made up about 11 percent of our municipal solid waste landfills. A great way to prevent the increase of that percentage is to ensure that you donate your clothes to those in need, sell your clothes for money using sites like Depop or Etsy, or have fun and refurbish your clothes. Regardless, make sure not to simply throw your clothes in the trash because there are plenty of ways they can still be used.

REDUCE MEAT AND DAIRY CONSUMPTION

Although switching to a plant-based diet is ideal, just simply reducing dairy and meat consumption helps a lot. Farming for livestock is a huge culprit in the climate change crisis as large amounts of methane are produced from the amount of livestock that the meat and dairy industries demand. Not only is less meat and dairy helpful for the planet (and the animals), but it’s good for your health as well. 

STOP SUPPORTING COMPANIES THAT AREN’T GREEN

Do your research on the companies that you buy from. Look at the organizations that they support, how they make their products, etc. This is a hard, but important one, especially if you find that you’re loyal to a company that isn’t necessarily green. Large companies have a giant impact on the environment and if the people stop buying from them, they will be forced to adapt to that change. 

USE YOUR VOICE

You have the power to make a difference even if you don’t think you do. So, get out and protest, write letters to Congress, educate others, and take action! The louder we are, the more they will listen. Everything is at stake.

Kayla is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in Communication and Media Arts. She is a beauty and fashion fanatic with hopes of working in the Beauty Industry after college. She has a knack for fine arts, enjoys writing, and is a dedicated yogi.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.