This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Whether you’re looking for a date night, girls night out, or just some me time, Broadway is a great way to go. With shows constantly opening and closing, it’s hard to keep track of what’s worth your buck and what’s going to flop. In my opinion, here’s the top shows out right now worth seeing.

Come from Away

This hit is a Tony winning musical about the 38 planes that landed in Gander, Newfoundland the day of September 11, 2001. The community immediately welcomed and embraced the unexpected visitors in the world’s time of need. This musical really brings out the beauty and togetherness that came out of this negative moment in history.

Frozen

You do not have to be a little kid to enjoy this newer Disney classic! Even if you’ve seen the movie once or twice (or a hundred times), this musical provides a different experience with original songs and fun twists on the characters you know and love.

Mean Girls

Now most of us already know every line of this cult classic by heart, but similar to Frozen, the musical will give you a brand new experience. With all new songs every OG fan will adore, this show is hilarious and makes sure to reference all your favorite parts of the original movie. And of course it’s written by Tina Fey because no one knows Mean Girls better!

Waitress

This show is based off the 2007 film about a waitress named Jenna in an abusive relationship looking for a way out until she discovers she’s pregnant. Regardless of her pregnancy, Jenna’s friends encourage her to still seek the happiness she deserves but now for both herself and her daughter on the way. Throughout the musical you get the opportunity to follow Jenna in her feel good story. Make sure to buy yourself a cute mason jar pie from the bar when you go for the ultimate Instagram!

The Phantom of the Opera

This classic musical is a must see for any Broadway fan. With countless hit songs and a beautifully written story, Phantom has earned its spot as the longest-running show in Broadway history. Follow the phantom who haunts the Paris Opera House and teaches the young singer, Christine, to become a star. With spooky twists and turns this show will have you at the edge of your seat the entire time.

Cecily Lovas

Montclair '21

Cecily Lovas is a junior at Montclair State University, studying Communications and Media Arts. She's a city girl at heart, constantly exploring New York City, and always looking for new adventures. Her other interests consist of music, movies, and health/fitness. She is a contributing writer as well as project manager for Montclair State's Chapter of Her Campus.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.