5 Dorm Room Tips On Staying Zen This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Hello, new semester! Want to start the new semester feeling zen? Here are some tips to make your new home at college your sanctuary, your retreat, your place to relax and de-stress.

Keep your room clutter FREE

You can declutter by getting rid of stuff that you don’t use. You can make it a point to remove anything you haven’t used for a year or more. Make it your goal to find ways to store the things you keep in shelving or bins neatly. Also, having a set place for all of your items keeps you organized and reduces stress when you look for items.

Neutral tones

Did you ever hear how colors can affect your mood? Well, if you didn’t believe it, BELIEVE IT; it’s true! Soft pink, tan, beige, and ESPECIALLY white are some of the top neutral colors. These neutral colors can make your room feel and look fresh. Your mood can be changed into a calm state of mind. The warmer and larger your dorm room looks, the calmer and more relaxing it can feel.

Go green! Become a plant mommy

One great way to add some character into your dorm is by adding a plant into your room decor. Adding a plant into your dorm room brings the outdoor aspect of the zen lifestyle.

Soft glow soothes the soul

Having the right lighting in your dorm room makes a big difference. Soft lighting has a soothing and relaxing effect vs. a bright light beaming in your eyes.

Keeping your room clean

Don’t you just love coming back home to a clean room? Well, it can be the same with your dorm after you come back from your exhausting long classes for the day. It is important to keep the zen you worked hard to create. Make it a habit to clean regularly and get rid of things you are no longer using. Make sure to keep everything in its place. Maybe you’re like me and cleaning is not your most favorite chore but keeping it clean and neat is important to maintaining a zen dorm room.

Kyra Reyes

Montclair '23

Kyra Reyes is a senior at Montclair State University, she is majoring in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Business Administration. She is currently an Events Director at Her Campus Montclair. Kyra is passionate in writing and with her articles she hopes to share a little bit of her knowledge. Because she is so dedicated to social media you can trust her to keep you in the loop with the new fashion trends and go-to styles in every editorial. Her interests includes social media, event planning, and spreading a little love around Her Campus. In her free time you can find her testing out new makeup trends, latest hot foodie spots, and talking to her boo.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.