4 Ways to Turn Your Dorm into a Cozy Oasis This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

With fall right around the corner and the stress of classes getting to all of us, a quick dorm makeover may be exactly what is needed to help escape from the cold, stressful world. You may be missing the comfort of your home or just need something refreshing in your life.

Decorating for dorms and apartments can be tricky, with the extensive number of rules and regulations that must be followed. With these quick tips you can still have a Pinterest worthy room that still follows all of those pesky rules. You’ll be ready to curl up in bed with a cup of tea while watching a Halloween movie in no time!

1. Texture, Texture, Texture

Adding textures to your space is the perfect way to go from cold and boring to cozy and cute. Textured blankets and throws are not only super chic but also keep you warm! You can find inexpensive and adorable throws on Amazon and at Target. You can also add texture to your room by adding fluffy rugs on the cold tile floors.

Buy one here!

2. Light it Up 

If your dorm allows lights, look into purchasing some inexpensive LED string lights. String lights instantly turn any room into Pinterest goals. You can buy colored lights or stick to the traditional white lights to add a glow to your room.

Salt lamps are another great way to add warmth to your space. Salt lamps have tons of benefits for your health and help purify the air. Buy one to not only spice up your space, but help you stay healthy in the colder months.

Buy one here

3. Fall Scents

Nothing screams fall more than amazing scented candles. Since candles aren’t allowed in dorms, wax warmers and room sprays will be your BFF. A wax warmer uses a light bulb to safely melt scented wax, giving off candle vibes, but is much safer. If you want a quicker and cheaper option, try a room spray. Just make sure not to go overboard and set off your fire alarm… your hallmates will not be happy.

Buy one here

4. Hang up Memories

Hang up pictures of what makes you happiest. Whether it’s your family, friends, pets, pictures of your travels; hang up pictures that bring comfort to you. When you are stressed out with school you can look at these pictures and be reminded of what is most important in your life.

Buy one here

Tara Byrne

Montclair '21

Tara is 22 years old and a senior at Montclair State majoring in fashion studies with a minor in business. She loves keeping up with pop culture and catching up on her Youtube subscriptions. Tara mostly writes fashion, beauty, and lifestyle pieces for Her Campus. She is the current President and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Montclair. In addition, she is a Co-Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Montclair.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.